Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Re: CPUs...

On 21 Jan 2007, at 15:49, Phil Harris wrote:

> Now, I knew that the Athlon X2 and the Pentium D were supposed to
> be about
> equivalents from the opposing camps but I hadn't realised where the
> Core
> Solo / Duo and Core 2 Duo sat in relation to those ... I'd
> *ASSUMED* that
> they were further up the horsepower tree than the Pentium D but
> they seem to
> be similar (ish) in processing power but mainly lower power
> consumption with
> the "2" in "Core 2" signifying the evolution of
"Core" rather than
> signifying anything to do with Hyperthreading or virtualisation.

The "Core 2" processors are 64-bit, and slightly faster (in most
cases, but not all) than the older "Core" versions...

Not all variants of the Core/Core 2 architecture cpus support
virtualisation (some of the low end Core ones don't have VT support
for some reason). None of them support HT AIUI.

wikipedia has extensive info on all the different models.

Jim