Latest message you have seen: Re: (OT) On line photo albums

RE: CPUs...

...I know it's bad form to reply to your own posts but I've had one of
those
"epiphany" moments (OK - not quite but you know what I mean).

Now, I knew that the Athlon X2 and the Pentium D were supposed to be about
equivalents from the opposing camps but I hadn't realised where the Core
Solo / Duo and Core 2 Duo sat in relation to those ... I'd *ASSUMED* that
they were further up the horsepower tree than the Pentium D but they seem
be similar (ish) in processing power but mainly lower power consumption
with
the "2" in "Core 2" signifying the evolution of
"Core" rather than
signifying anything to do with Hyperthreading or virtualisation.

That's the way I'm reading the differences in the processors now - is that
how you guys understand it? That Pentium D, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are all
roughly on a par as standard but the newer versions are lower power
consumption (and as a byproduct of this can be overclocked harder before
termal considerations become an issue but that's not of any interest to
me).

Phil