Latest message you have seen: RE: (OT) On line photo albums

RE: CPUs...

The only one I would rule out right off bat is the Pentium D - it's
dead end
technology, in it's final throes..

The Core2 Duo is, as you say the flavour of the month, and for good reason:
it runs cooler and faster (for now) than the X2.

My own personal preference is for Intel - I have had too many
"weird"
crashes on Athlon kit, and always found it a little less stable. I have
owned quite a few Athlon based PCs, and always had odd behaviour - the two
Intel machines I have owned since I decided "bollocks to this"
have been
brilliantly stable.

After some wackiness getting Vista running (my HDD was failing, with SMART
warnings, which XP would tolerate, but vista complained about constantly,
and the Microsoft AC97 Driver BSODed.) things are now looking nice, fast
and
solid.

The power management is slick - sleep that drops the machine into S3 state
in seconds, and wakes up as fast as you can say "vista".

My money would be (and is) on the Core 2 Duo. I'm running  the E6400, not
top of the line, but plenty fast.

Ian.