Re: Really Stupid Things I Tried

On 4/8/2024 7:02 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 3/31/2024 4:32 PM, ABLE1 wrote:

>>> This morning I refused to work on any shop stuff.  I know.  I know.
>>> Its Easter Sunday.  My wife and mom went off to Easter Mass, and I
>>> fixed a table that belonged to my wife's grandma.  Then I expected
>>> them back, but no sign of them so I walked out and looked at the
>>> goose neck trailer.  There are a couple extra lights on the back that
>>> I had no idea what they were for.  I went ahead and tied them into
>>> the running lights.   Gives me two extra tail lights to reduce the
>>> odds of a revenue stop when I go through some broke ass county in
>>> central Arizona.  Then I sat there and stared at the upper deck for a
>>> while trying to figure out how to mount a winch up there.  I've got a
>>> 12 ton Warn winch that's a spare (sorta).  I have a Badlands 12 ton
>>> on the Jeep, but I would like to use this winch on other things.  Its
>>> on a 2" draw bar mount so it can be portable.  A few years ago I
>>> welded a draw tube onto another trailer for this purpose, but this
>>> one isn't so nicely laid out for that.  I finally figured out a plan
>>> and welded half of the plan in place.  I doubt any stores are open
>>> today, and I need parts.  I guess I'll have to wait until Monday.
>>> Now to figure out where my wife and mom are off to...  or maybe I
>>> should grab a fishing pole and head on down to the canal bank.
>>>
>>> Les, there is a neat affect I've heard almost nobody talk about
>>> during an eclipse.  Stand under a tree that has loose leaves.  One
>>> with lots of spots of sunlight shining through.  During the eclipse
>>> look at the light and shadow on the ground under the tree.  Its a lot
>>> cooler than that stupid shadow box they tried to impress us with in
>>> grade school.
>>
>> Yes Bob, I have seen the tree thing on some videos.  Where I was at in
>> 2017 South Carolina the trees were too far away to go a lookie!!
>> Then up and until totality we had clouds..... Then as the totality ended
>> the clouds cleared. :-)
>>
>> Today I worked on setting up my Nikon and Tripod to get the angles
>> right.  I want to get a video, the 3.5 minutes before and after.
>> I think I have everything as best I can at this point.  I got a
>> UV filter and built a box for camera lens to fit into.  Works quite
>> well.  I built one for my iPhone as well, just in case!!
>>
>> It all comes down to the day and the time it happens! Fingers Crossed!!
>>
>> BTW a piece of cardboard with a 1/4" hole will work as well.
>>
>> Les
>>

> So, how was your eclipse vacation Les?  I thought about it briefly.
> About 11:20 was max coverage here supposedly.  (60% I think)  I
> considered walking at and looking at the shadows under the trees, but
> I'm just not having any fun these days. Been trying to buy a new truck,
> and dealerships just suck.  I'm tempted to fly across country and buy
> the truck I want several thousand dollars cheaper and drive it back just
> to spite the local dealerships.  I think I'm going to grab a fishing
> [...]
Hi Bob,

As for an Eclipse Story, I will give you the short version.

We went to Goat Island, Niagara Falls, NY. early and parked the
car in one of last spots.  Then we took the Trolley Loop and got back at
about 2PM.  Went out to the observation location to see the 'Falls' at
the same time.  Oh, did I mention that the sky was covered with
CLOUDS!!!  Anyhow, they did clear briefly and I did get 1 (best shot) I
got!!  No that was not the best, then all got V-E-R-Y D-A-R-K and I got
a few pictures of Niagara Falls, Ontario with night lights at 3:18pm
afternoon!!  Then after the sky lit up again the mass of HOOMANNS
started to evacuate.  It was NUTS!!!  But, it was a good ADVENTURE!!

Ok, that is the short version!!

Have a better day!!

Les