Re: Really Stupid Things I Tried

On 3/30/2024 7:07 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 3/30/2024 9:03 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>> Well golly gee whiz Bob!!!
>>> Are you so bored that bad memories pop back into your head??
>>>
>>> And yes, your typing caused me to start and remember employee
>>> issues............  Bla Bla Bla............
>>>
>>> For me I made the decision that I was working harder with an
>>> employee than without.  So I did not hire any after the last.
>>>
>>> Life was much better!!  When I needed help I used guys that
>>> had there own 1 man business as a sub-contractor.  At the
>>> end of the job, I would get a bill for labor and I happily
>>> pay it out.
>>>
>>> As for your stories, I am sure you should get more busy so
>>> your memories will not bother your brain.  LOL
>>>
>>> I hope you have plans to go a bit east on April 8th!!  Wouldn't
>>> want you miss the special event!!
>>>
>>> Les
>>

>> This week I plan to make a test run hauling a 3/4 ton truck with a 3/4
>> ton truck.  60 miles to go get it in Dateland and 60 miles back over
>> Telegraph pass.  The plan is to see if I can load and secure it solo.
>> Should be a good test run for my truck and goose neck trailer.  Should
>> also be a good test for the new brakes on a hill I know I can drive
>> without trailer brakes if I have to.
>>
>> This week I put new axles on the trailer with new electric brakes,
>> because the old brakes were a combination of bad and missing, and
>> nobody anywhere had trailer brake hubs that would fit the old axles.
>> Being drop axles swapping the spindles was a bit more work than you
>> might think.
>>
>> I still need to finish wiring up the brakes and break away controller.
>>
>> If it works I'll do the same thing again a day or two later.  Only
>> this time through the mountains up to Show Low and back.  Best case is
>> a little over 5-1/2 hours one way.  I'm rounding up my dad's old
>> vehicles for salvage or repair.  I have two people interested in
>> buying the two 3/4 ton (both are Cummins Diesel Dodges) as is, but I
>> might fix one up and keep it as a backup tow rig.  I'm learning the
>> Duramax in my truck might not have the long life I was lead to believe
>> it should.  Its okay, but I am seeing them fail at lower mileage than
>> I was told to expect.
>>
>> While I am in Show Low I have to make a plan for pulling a park model
>> (my folks old summer home) out of the park where it is.  They WANT IT
>> OUT.  There is a tool shed full of tools I am told, some things in the
>> park model, and of course the truck that will be coming back with me
>> on this first run.  While I am there I have to come up with a plan for
>> the park model... with tip outs.  Manual tip outs.  Technically it is
>> a travel trailer, but its huge.  With tip outs.  Lots of trees have
>> grown up around it since it was placed and I may not be able to just
>> pull it out.  My truck can handle it, and I have a couple stabilizer
>> hitches. The hitch was dropped from the trailer, but I am told its
> [...]

This morning I refused to work on any shop stuff.  I know.  I know.  Its
Easter Sunday.  My wife and mom went off to Easter Mass, and I fixed a
table that belonged to my wife's grandma.  Then I expected them back,
but no sign of them so I walked out and looked at the goose neck
trailer.  There are a couple extra lights on the back that I had no idea
what they were for.  I went ahead and tied them into the running lights.
  Gives me two extra tail lights to reduce the odds of a revenue stop
when I go through some broke ass county in central Arizona.  Then I sat
there and stared at the upper deck for a while trying to figure out how
to mount a winch up there.  I've got a 12 ton Warn winch that's a spare
(sorta).  I have a Badlands 12 ton on the Jeep, but I would like to use
this winch on other things.  Its on a 2" draw bar mount so it can be
portable.  A few years ago I welded a draw tube onto another trailer for
this purpose, but this one isn't so nicely laid out for that.  I finally
figured out a plan and welded half of the plan in place.  I doubt any
stores are open today, and I need parts.  I guess I'll have to wait
until Monday.  Now to figure out where my wife and mom are off to...  or
maybe I should grab a fishing pole and head on down to the canal bank.

Les, there is a neat affect I've heard almost nobody talk about during
an eclipse.  Stand under a tree that has loose leaves.  One with lots of
spots of sunlight shining through.  During the eclipse look at the light
and shadow on the ground under the tree.  Its a lot cooler than that
stupid shadow box they tried to impress us with in grade school.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com