Re: help with napco gemini p816

On Nov 23, 6:30=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday, November 23, 2012 5:30:43 AM UTC-5, I love my Evo wrote:
>
> > ok looking in the install manual E27 is printer failure... and e06 SYST=
EM TROUBLE/E06-NN SERVICE. Rf receiver response trouble. NN =3D receiver nu=
mber

> I only install the Gemini 1632 on up. I don't install the P816. However, =
I would think the programing is basically the same. BUT ..... with what you=
've explained so far, I don't think I would be able to sort out what you've=
 done to the programming without extensive posts. Someone local to you, who=
 is familiar with the programming and has the Napco downloader program woul=
d probably be able to do it in 5/10 minutes by uploading what's in your pan=
el now and scanning through it. Me ....trying to guess what you have in you=
r program, in this forum would be just a hit or miss guess .... at best.

> I don't know if the "reset code" you put in was the factory default reset=
 ( it would appear not) but at this point, that would be my best suggestion=
. Set up another account in Napco downloader ( so you don't overwrite what =
you presently have) Reset the panel to factory default and start the progra=
mming from scratch in the newly setup account. Note that the panels that I =
am familar with have 2 levels of default. I don't know what the P816 has.

> The rest of what I have to say .... you're not going to like.
> What you are experiencing now is just a hint at what problems DIY'ers don=
't realize you can get yourself into. And I'm not talking about your inabil=
ity to trouble shoot your problem. Just by the experience that you are havi=
ng now, did it ever occur to you that by some chance, that you, mucking aro=
und in your panel programming you could inadvertently program something tha=
t would cause your panel to not or incorrectly report an alarm signal? It's=
 only the fact that the possibility of a home invasion or a fire is rather =
minimal that keeps more tragedies from happening with DIY installations. Yo=
u have gone so far as to think that security in an important investment. Ye=
t you don't think it's important enough to have it (at least) professionall=
y programed. I can understand people wanting to do things themselves rather=
 than call someone in to do it (whether the motivater is money or the chall=
ange) I'm one of those people too. Yet, when it comes to certain things, I =
know when it's time to call the professionl to do something where there's a=
 chance an accident or event could cause catastrophic results. If you're ha=
ving these kinds of problems with the programing, how do you know that you =
haven't made another mistake that's less obvious that would cause you to mi=
ss a fire notification or an alarm signal that someone is harming your fami=
ly?

> There are some people in this industry who think that dealers who lock th=
eir customers out of the programing of their panels are taking advantage of=
 and holding their customers hostage. I think that the problems you are hav=
ing and the potential tragic results make you a perfect example why end use=
rs should be locked out of the programing of their panels and why it should=
 be illegal for central stations to monitor DIY alarm installations. You, a=
nd they may be willing to take the chance with your home and family =A0But,=
 with over 43 years of experience in the industry ...... I'm not.
> Just my (very strong) opinion.

Well I got it all cleared up myself.  This wasn't my first time around
the block either.

I'm not worried about your concerns.  I can test all the features.
part of the problem is with nextalarm. Their service SUCKS.  Through
google, i see i'm not the only one who had the problem, where the log
shows the proper stuff is
being reported in the activity log but you dont' get a phone call.
Their full service monitoring was OK, but when money got tight, i
switched to the automated monitoring, and that was a FAIL.

My money is tight and I don't need the "someone is harming my family"
alarm for this location.   CS doesn't protect you from that, and the
police rarely protect you from that. In this world you have to protect
yourself first... but that's a different discussion.  Anyway this
alarm system is on a warehouse for unimportant things, and the
location is in the back of a maze that's low traffic.  I just want a
little peace of mind... so i'm looking into getting pager service,
should be a lot cheaper.

As far as DIY and illegal..  how communist is that..  In a free
country two entities should be able to come to agreement,
to provide goods/services per their own requirements.