Re: help with napco gemini p816

On Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:06:54 AM UTC-5, I love my Evo wrote:
> On Nov 23, 6:30=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote: > On Friday, Novembe=
r 23, 2012 5:30:43 AM UTC-5, I love my Evo wrote: > > > ok looking in the i=
nstall manual E27 is printer failure... and e06 SYSTEM TROUBLE/E06-NN SERVI=
CE. Rf receiver response trouble. NN =3D receiver number > > I only install=
 the Gemini 1632 on up. I don't install the P816. However, I would think th=
e programing is basically the same. BUT ..... with what you've explained so=
 far, I don't think I would be able to sort out what you've done to the pro=
gramming without extensive posts. Someone local to you, who is familiar wit=
h the programming and has the Napco downloader program would probably be ab=
le to do it in 5/10 minutes by uploading what's in your panel now and scann=
ing through it. Me ....trying to guess what you have in your program, in th=
is forum would be just a hit or miss guess .... at best. > > I don't know i=
f the "reset code" you put in was the factory default reset ( it would appe=
ar not) but at this point, that would be my best suggestion. Set up another=
 account in Napco downloader ( so you don't overwrite what you presently ha=
ve) Reset the panel to factory default and start the programming from scrat=
ch in the newly setup account. Note that the panels that I am familar with =
have 2 levels of default. I don't know what the P816 has. > > The rest of w=
hat I have to say .... you're not going to like. > What you are experiencin=
g now is just a hint at what problems DIY'ers don't realize you can get you=
rself into. And I'm not talking about your inability to trouble shoot your =
problem. Just by the experience that you are having now, did it ever occur =
to you that by some chance, that you, mucking around in your panel programm=
ing you could inadvertently program something that would cause your panel t=
o not or incorrectly report an alarm signal? It's only the fact that the po=
ssibility of a home invasion or a fire is rather minimal that keeps more tr=
agedies from happening with DIY installations. You have gone so far as to t=
hink that security in an important investment. Yet you don't think it's imp=
ortant enough to have it (at least) professionally programed. I can underst=
and people wanting to do things themselves rather than call someone in to d=
o it (whether the motivater is money or the challange) I'm one of those peo=
ple too. Yet, when it comes to certain things, I know when it's time to cal=
l the professionl to do something where there's a chance an accident or eve=
nt could cause catastrophic results. If you're having these kinds of proble=
ms with the programing, how do you know that you haven't made another mista=
ke that's less obvious that would cause you to miss a fire notification or =
an alarm signal that someone is harming your family? > > There are some peo=
ple in this industry who think that dealers who lock their customers out of=
 the programing of their panels are taking advantage of and holding their c=
ustomers hostage. I think that the problems you are having and the potentia=
l tragic results make you a perfect example why end users should be locked =
out of the programing of their panels and why it should be illegal for cent=
ral stations to monitor DIY alarm installations. You, and they may be willi=
ng to take the chance with your home and family =A0But, with over 43 years =
of experience in the industry ...... I'm not. > Just my (very strong) opini=
on. Well I got it all cleared up myself. This wasn't my first time around t=
he block either. I'm not worried about your concerns. I can test all the fe=
atures. part of the problem is with nextalarm. Their service SUCKS. Through=
 google, i see i'm not the only one who had the problem, where the log show=
s the proper stuff is being reported in the activity log but you dont' get =
a phone call. Their full service monitoring was OK, but when money got tigh=
t, i switched to the automated monitoring, and that was a FAIL. My money is=
 tight and I don't need the "someone is harming my family" alarm for this l=
ocation. CS doesn't protect you from that, and the police rarely protect yo=
u from that. In this world you have to protect yourself first... but that's=
 a different discussion. Anyway this alarm system is on a warehouse for uni=
mportant things, and the location is in the back of a maze that's low traff=
ic. I just want a little peace of mind... so i'm looking into getting pager=
 service, should be a lot cheaper. As far as DIY and illegal.. how communis=
t is that.. In a free country two entities should be able to come to agreem=
ent, to provide goods/services per their own requirements.

I guess you're right. All it takes is one naive/gullible/cheap/stupid buyer=
 and one unethical seller and ...... there ya go. Free enterprise ... at it=
's best. Can I interest you in a free alarm system?

In spite of my experience you're free to believe what ever you choose.
But .... I'm Sorry to say that if you give it close scrutiny, it's not a "f=
ree" country anymore.
At this point in my life I have learned to never underestimate the power of=
 a large group of stupid people.