Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: UKHA Archive Down

Fw: Xbox softmodding

  • Subject: Fw: Xbox softmodding
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:58:32 +0000

Paul

If you want to store films, FTPing stuff over every time is a PITA. Youd
be better off expanding or creating a NAS - a lot easier.

As for dashboards, do you need it ? Mine (both XBOXes) just boot straight
up into XBMC

G.

Gareth Cook
IT Architect / Project Manager, SWG Sales
IBM SWG Sales - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
email: g@xxxxxxx

----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 30/11/2006 07:52 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Today 00:38

.
Subject:
.
[ukha_d] Xbox softmodding
.
Category:

With the recent Argos B...B....Bargain! on a new Xbox, this is no doubt
one of many to come posts on getting the mod done.

I want to try a softmod...

Is there anything that a softmod *won't* let me do that a modchip would?
- I'm not interested in installing LCD screens, using Xbox live, or even
playing a great many games on it for that matter. What I *do* want to do
is:

Install a 250GB HDD in it

Pack that 250GB drive to the gills with my DVD collection (a mix of
ISO's and VOBs)

Install XBMC to play them all from a nice UI

Have XMBC be the default startup dash

Assuming a softmod will do the above, there is a bewildering array of
choices of methods, and of dashboards.

I've been doing some research but I'm still not clear what I need to
get/do... If I've understood the principal correctly, the only way I've
become aware of to initially get the mod onto a new box is via game save
exploit, and this absolutely requires a memory card of some description
to transfer the necessary files onto the new box... - is this correct? -
If so, then the first question is what memory device, and where to get
it from? - I've seen mention of using a standard USB memory stick with
an adapter cable.. - but where do these adapter cables come from? Having
read a bewildering sequence of tutorials, I've left with the distinct
impression that its all made so much complicated than it needs to be...
- most sites won't make the needed files available unless you register
with them... - why can't I just have them thanks? Other tutorials refer
to "get the files from the 'usual places'..." - without saying
what
those usual places are... AARRGGHH!!!

Then it occurred to me that a sizeable number of people here on UKHA
must have done this before, - and therefore potentially have the
necessary memory devices, complete with all the necessary files already
installed, and the required game disks, and quite possibly have all this
stuff sitting at the back of a drawer somewhere waiting for a day when
it might be needed again...

So, before I expend too much more time & energy on this, does anyone
here have a complete Xbox softmod "kit" that they would be
prepared to
lend me? And details of which of the many tutorials for installing it
"fits" with the set of parts therein?

Perhaps we could have a UKHA Xbox clinic meet, - a bit like the TiVo
upgrade station we had at UKHA 2003 :-)

Here's hoping...

Paul G.

all the Cool Stuff, in one Place