Re: Xbox softmodding

  • Subject: Re: Xbox softmodding
  • From: "mwgardner2000" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:42:15 -0000

Hi Paul,

Like you I was finally tempted by the Argos offer (and by MM's post
about 720p); my main intended use is for XBMC; and I'd prefer soft
mod to a chip. I plan to play ripped DVD VOBs from an existing
server.

So, I'd be happy to share notes / progress / what works / what
doesn't.

I've read many tutorials but this one seems to be the most concise
that I have seen: http://thehardsell.wordpress.com/2006/05/27/howto-
softmod-your-xbox/

So far, I've managed to gather together all the bits required at
minimal cost, but right now the Xbox is still in the box in the
Argos bag. I think its the longest that a new toy has been left
untouched!

Any recommendations from anyone who has been there and done that
welcome!

Cheers!
Mark

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul@...> wrote:

> With the recent Argos B...B....Bargain! on a new Xbox, this is no
doubt
> one of many to come posts on getting the mod done.
>

> I want to try a softmod...
>

> Is there anything that a softmod *won't* let me do that a modchip
would?
> - I'm not interested in installing LCD screens, using Xbox live,
or even
> playing a great many games on it for that matter. What I *do* want
to do
> is:
>

> Install a 250GB HDD in it
>
> Pack that 250GB drive to the gills with my DVD collection (a mix of
> ISO's and VOBs)
>
> Install XBMC to play them all from a nice UI
>
> Have XMBC be the default startup dash
>

> Assuming a softmod will do the above, there is a bewildering array
of
> choices of methods, and of dashboards.
>

> I've been doing some research but I'm still not clear what I need
> get/do... If I've understood the principal correctly, the only way
I've
> become aware of to initially get the mod onto a new box is via
game save
> exploit, and this absolutely requires a memory card of some
description
> to transfer the necessary files onto the new box... - is this
correct? -
> If so, then the first question is what memory device, and where to
get
> it from? - I've seen mention of using a standard USB memory stick
with
> an adapter cable.. - but where do these adapter cables come from?
Having
> read a bewildering sequence of tutorials, I've left with the
distinct
> impression that its all made so much complicated than it needs to
be...
> - most sites won't make the needed files available unless you
register
> with them... - why can't I just have them thanks? Other tutorials
refer
> to "get the files from the 'usual places'..." - without
saying what
> those usual places are... AARRGGHH!!!
>

> Then it occurred to me that a sizeable number of people here on
UKHA
> must have done this before, - and therefore potentially have the
> necessary memory devices, complete with all the necessary files
already
> installed, and the required game disks, and quite possibly have
all this
> stuff sitting at the back of a drawer somewhere waiting for a day
when
> it might be needed again...
>

> So, before I expend too much more time & energy on this, does
anyone
> here have a complete Xbox softmod "kit" that they would be
prepared to
> lend me? And details of which of the many tutorials for installing
it
> "fits" with the set of parts therein?
>

> Perhaps we could have a UKHA Xbox clinic meet, - a bit like the
TiVo