Re: Where does outlook store email

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Where does outlook store email
  • From: "Derek Erb" <dce42@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:31:44 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dean Barrett" <dean@w...> wrote:

> To get some sort of access between PC's i changed everyone to
Workgroup access and have lost their accounts. I know Outlook keeps
them somewhere but i cant find them. (we werent running Exchange
server so all emails are local) <

You didn't mention which version of Outlook you are running.

For all versions of Outlook (97 through 2003), EXCEPT Outlook
Express, ALL Outlook information (email, calendar, tasks,
notes, ...) is all stored in one file.  That file has a .PST
extension.

The system is completely different for Outlook Express.

The .PST file can be stored anywhere and can also be moved.  You
have already seen here messages as to where it is "normally"
stored.

I personally always create a directory underneath My Documents and I
put the user's PST file in that directory.  That allows me to backup
Outlook and all of their files at the same time by just backing up
My Documents.

The user's PST file is automatically created the first time they
open Outlook.

To move the PST file you first need to find it.  Use the Windows
search function but set the advanced options to use system and
hidden files and folders.

With Outlook closed you physically move the PST file where you want
it to be stored.

The next time you open Outlook it will display an error message that
it can not find the PST file.  However it will also immediately
display a window allowing you to create one.  Rather than create a
new one you use this same window to point to the existing PST file
where you placed it.

***

Please excuse this long response but it's the first time here on the
group that we've dealt with a subject where I know I am a qualified
expert and I am very pleased to be able to finally contribute
something.