Re: Broadband still coming to 100% of NI

Quoting Ant <ant@xxxxxxx>:

> On Wednesday 08 October 2003 16:53, Tony Butler wrote:
>
> > I'm assuming you want to forward incoming packets to your
internal
> servers,

> It can't fight its way thru, that's the point. The publically routable
IP
> addresses that PIPEX hands out are NATd to 10.* by the headend, and
then to
> 192.168.1.* by the Cambridge Broadband box. Any incoming connections
bounce
> off that first router - it can't do any kind of port forwarding.

The NATing per-se shouldn't interfere - that's just mangling the IP's, not
frigging with the ports isn't it?
Sounds more like they are just blocking connections to ports other than say
80,
110, 25 - a handful of standard ones - otherwise you couldn't do any web
browsing at all if no ports could get through :/

> OTOH, they are looking into the feasability of getting me a real,
routable
> IP.  Hurrah!

Hurrah indeed ;)

> > Any indiciations on prices or timescales for this???
>
> Reckon it's a long way off. The cost of the kit they've installed in
my gaff
> must be pretty frightening alone. I'm hoping to ebay the lot once the
trial
> is over ;)

LOL - make sure you do the obligatory offering to the group at cost (to
you)
price first though :^D

> Yes, supremacy through superior bandwidth has always been my approach
;)

hehe!

I think we should leave it at that now m8 - it's already moved away from
the
topic in the subject line, and is probably boring the rest of the group
anyway
coz it's OT....

You should post a "preview" to MMC's site to make us all jealous,
once you get
your static IP!

cheers,

T.