Re: Broadband still coming to 100% of NI

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 16:53, Tony Butler wrote:

> I'm assuming you want to forward incoming packets to your internal
server=
s,
> so a port 81 packet, after fighting it's way to your router would be
rout=
ed
> to port 80 on your tivo/homeseer pc/whatever.

It can't fight its way thru, that's the point. The publically routable
IP=20
addresses that PIPEX hands out are NATd to 10.* by the headend, and then
to=
=20
192.168.1.* by the Cambridge Broadband box. Any incoming connections
bounce=
=20
off that first router - it can't do any kind of port forwarding.

At least, that's what they told me. Given that it appears to be Cisco kit,
=
I=20
find that somewhat unlikely ;)

OTOH, they are looking into the feasability of getting me a real, routable
=
IP.=20
Hurrah!

> Any indiciations on prices or timescales for this???

Reckon it's a long way off. The cost of the kit they've installed in my
gaf=
f=20
must be pretty frightening alone. I'm hoping to ebay the lot once the
trial=
=20
is over ;)

> 4mb/8ms would definitely help in counterstrike - maybe I'd actually
see t=
he
> bullets b4 they take me down :D

Yes, supremacy through superior bandwidth has always been my approach ;)

ant
--=20
/\/\
www.ant.org  ('')  www.ant.org