Re: Broadband still coming to 100% of NI

Quoting Ant <ant@xxxxxxx>:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2003 16:29, Tony Butler wrote:
>
> > Cool - 4meg - Niiiiceeee!
>
> Yeah, it's not bad at all. I'm into the LINX inside of 8ms too! ;)

:-O

> > FFS - why so many goddamned NATs?
>
> Well, it is a trial, so it has a slightly McGuyver set-up. I'm sure
any
> commercial roll-out would have more thought put into it.

true.

> > What if u stuck your own router after the *nix box and THAT did
the port
> > forwarding???
>
> Would just mean you could port-forward from one side of that box to
the other
> - not very useful. You're still two NAT gateways away from reaching
the
> internet :(

I'm assuming you want to forward incoming packets to your internal servers,
so
a port 81 packet, after fighting it's way to your router would be routed to
port 80 on your tivo/homeseer pc/whatever.
Is that not enough (for the masses anyway?).

> Still, can't complain!

Well you _could_ but I guess you won't ;)

Any indiciations on prices or timescales for this???
4mb/8ms would definitely help in counterstrike - maybe I'd actually see the
bullets b4 they take me down :D

cheers,

T.