Re: UTC’s Interlogix division to close down by end of 2019

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 1:03:36 PM UTC-5, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 9:49:18 PM UTC-4, mleuck wrote:
ential and commercial security product lines, has notified its employees an=
d dealers that it has begun the process of =E2=80=9Cwinding down=E2=80=9D b=
usiness in the United States and Canada, and will no longer manufacture new=
 products by the end of 2019."
> > >=20
> > > Surprise Surprise!
> > >=20
> > > I don't get it. What's the purpose?=20
> > >=20
> > > Is it that these large companies just  buy up smaller companies, suck=
 the life out of them and discard them ? I mean it's not that Interlogix ha=
d any great secrets or something that would benefit UTC to the amount of $1=
.82 BILLION !!!
> > >=20
> > > Amazing!
> >=20
> > Doesn't have anything to do with big companies buying smaller companies=
, it has to do with not staying competitive which was happening long before=
 UTC came into the picture. 2GIG, Qolsys and Alarm.com pretty much did them=
 in not UTC
> >=20
> > I'm surprised they didn't try selling them off to someone else, they st=
ill sold a lot of equipment, the Concord NX series were excellent panels
>=20
> It's pretty frickin hard to believe that UTC didn't have the wherewithal/=
capability/foresight/experience, to see the handwriting on the wall before =
they spent almost $2 BILLION for it.
>=20
> On the other hand, I guess it's one hell of a tax write-off right before =
the end of the year.

While UTC did stagnate the company most if the fault was with GE, they pour=
ed a lot of money into the company but gutted it of all the experienced ITI=
 and Caddx people who later went on to start companies that became their ma=
in competition

The problem tends to be big companies tend to not take the same chances tha=
t smaller ones can, can't release something new without it going to the bea=
n counters who usually know nothing about security

I can't see why they didn't try spinning the division off like Honeywell di=
d with Resideo, the hybrid panels are excellent and they finally came out w=
ith encrypted sensors and a decent touchscreen for the Concord