Re: Cellular Radio.

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 3:13:45 PM UTC-5, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 12:42:47 AM UTC-5, Arthur Conan Doyle wr=
ote:
> > Jim Davis <> wrote:
> >=20
> > >
> > >I was pretty sure the "Boosters" that the phone companies provided whe=
re ju=3D
> > >st converting phone calls to VoIP via the LAN but wanted to be sure.
> >=20
> >=20
> > There are two types of "booster." One type uses two boxes. One placed w=
here
> > there is a signal available, the other inside where there is no signal
> > currently. Think of this as a repeater type.
> >=20
> > The other is a pico cell tower that plugs into a broadband connection a=
nd
> > connects to the cellco through the internet.
> >=20
> > Both have their uses, just depends on the problem you are trying to sol=
ve.
>=20
> Yes, Rocky recommended this  http://www.zboost.com/=20
>=20
> which I'll be contacting them on Monday.=20
>=20
> I'm hoping that if I get one of these that I can get a wire between the a=
ttic and somewhere near the first floor.
>=20
> We'll see.

So OK
Found out that there are DIY boosters and professional Boosters.=20
Wilson seems to be the name that comes up more often as being the better pr=
oduct. Obviously a little more expensive.=20

For those not familiar with how it works .... there's an outside antenna co=
nnected to an inside booster module and then an inside antenna. The outside=
 antenna most recommended is a directional. They are higher gain and since =
most cellular service providers usually transmit from the same tower or are=
a a directional will usually pick up any provider. You can split the output=
 of the booster to more than one inside antenna but it is advisable to keep=
 the total length of coax to less than 100 feet. The ideal way to find the =
proper place for the external antenna is that it usually should be high up =
on the building. To find the right spot ..... get out your extension ladder=
 and your Android phone and check the signal strength at various mounting l=
ocations around the building. As a guide, they say that two bars on a stand=
ard cell phone out side the building may or may not be strong enough to be =
able to be boosted. So two bars or better seems to be the goal.            =
                                                                           =
          =20
If you have an android cell phone there is an app that will allow you to de=
termine how good a signal you are getting outside of the house. go to Play =
Store and download "Open Signal" or " Signal Check ". IPhone doesn't have a=
n app to check signal.
                                                                           =
    =20
The lower the input signal is the lower the output signal will be so it's w=
orth trying to find the best spot to locate the outside antenna. Directiona=
l antennas are harder to install too.                                      =
                                       Systems are purchased based on the s=
quare footage of the area you want to cover inside the building. They range=
 in price accordingly.

WillsonAmplifiers.com is the distributor for Wilson products. Don't be misl=
ed by some of the cheaper items you may see on line.

That should be enough to get you going. You'll have to do the nitty gritty =
research.=20