Re: Brinks & Broadview Takeovers

On Oct 3, 10:54=EF=BF=BDam, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> RHC: One point of clarification Bob. I don't thing it is correct for
> any company to give out their installer code (which I think is what
> you mean...) upon cessation of the contract, or service, or whatever.
> I doubt there is anyone who would ever do that. But as long as the
> board is not actually locked, as you know, anyone or any other company
> can default and start fresh. Defaulting also gets rid of any
> "proprietary" information (such as dialer information) which some
> companies seem to hold as having some real value, and also ensures the
> panel is fresh upon reuse, with some previous things (like callback)
> disabled. An unlocked board is totally reusable by anyone who knows
> what he is doing, but a locked board is useless property......that's
> my point !
>
> On long term contracts, we totally agree....(sshh.....let's not get
> Jim riled up again.....:))-

On the same subject, here's another post from Ken Kirshenbaums blog.
Kinda says it all  ..... about the value of installer codes and
lockouts.

Mr. Kirschenbaum,

    Thank you for providing this easy to read question and answer
forum.  I have really enjoyed reading it and this is the 1st time I've
had the urge to comment on one of the subjects:

     After reading the inquiry (from Doug O. Padgett)  I have a
comment in addition to your answer "it would be prudent to obtain a
release for exchange of codes".   That is so true and I couldn't agree
with you more... However, since each installing company protects their
unique 'installer codes' (also known as programming codes) ESPECIALLY
from their competitors, the outgoing company would be very wise  to
also change their programming/installer code to anything else once
they know they are going to have to give it up to a competitor.  That
way, they are still protecting their proprietary information to the
fullest extent they can.

     You see, I used to work at a national alarm company for 7 years
and every time a technician or salesperson (including me) came in with
a competitors programming code, we wrote it on a big chalk board for
everyone to see.  (It made life so much easier when taking over a
competitors system.)  I found that some companies shared it freely,
while others protected it vigorously.

     Just a thought.
Cynthia Hart
Hart Universal Security