Re: CO ALARM PROCEDURES

Frank Olson wrote:

>> Our standard procedure was (I sold my CS a few years ago)

> 1993 is a "few years" alright.

Why ask such a question?  You know full well that I sold the business
less than five years ago.

>> to call the fire department immediately upon receiving a signal indicating carbon monoxide danger.  Next we would call the premises to make sure everyone exited the building until the FD cleared it.
>> One problem with CO poisoning is that by the time you realize something is wrong you may be unable to help yourself.  Since it's colorless and odorless, clients can't tell it's there.  Sometimes they will tell you that all is well and ask you to cancel the FD.

> Now why would a client that has a CO alarm squealing away tell you that "all
is well"??

I've had several actual CO events where that is exactly what the
clients did.  They don't realize something is really wrong because they
don't see or smell anything wrong.  I'm pretty sure I posted here some
time ago about a CO call we had where the babysitter at first said
nothing was wrong.  In fact the attic was on fire.  The people had
battery smokes and didn't have us put in smoke detectors with the
system.

> Unless of course someone accidentally pushed the "test" button
without calling your wife first...

You're referring to my ex-wife.

>> My suggestion is that you politely refuse.

> I see...  So "politely refusing" a direct instruction from a registered
account holder who's just told you that "all is well" is something you
would
condone??  As what???  A Central Station Manager???  You going to pick
up
the tab for the false alarm dispatch as well??  Man, am I ever glad
you're
out of the business!!!

When selling systems with CO detectors I always told the customers that
it was our policy to dispatch on *all* CO alarms.  I explained the
reasons for doing so and that was always acceptable.  I don't recall a
single customer whio objected to the policy.  And no, I wasn't the CS
manager.  I owned the company.

None of the towns I installed in were issuing fines for false CO
alarms.  That may have changed in the last five years but the danger of
carbon monoxide poisoning has not changed.  The potential cost of not
dispatching if the CO alarm is real is the lives of your customers.
IMO that outweighs possible flase alarm fines.

>> Let the firemen check the place with a CO tester.

> Or ULC listed canary...

:^)

Regards,
Robert L Bass