Latest message you have seen: RE: Comfort Design Question

Re: [OT] PC driver help please

The Office key could be on a sticker attached to the PC - or it might
be
an OEM version that will just install ( as long as it's on the same base
platform or Windows key).

Rob Iles wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> http://opensourcerules.info/cdkey.html
>
> Looks like it might help with the CD Key - it seems reasonably legit!
>
> What's the name of the file that you're missing? (and what OS are you
> running
>
> Rob
>

> On 27/03/2008, JonS <semi.jon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>   I am on an Easter break at my parents and came prepared with
laptop
>> (thanks Noel) web cam, skype, teamviewer and a wireless router (a
>> reflashed BT Home Hub) to enable them to make skype video calls
with
>> us.
>> The install of the new router on their UWclub.net connection went
>> perfectly but I have screwed up their existing PC trying to get it
>> talk to the new router.
>>
>> I enabled the network port in the Device Manager and it ran
through
>> the "found new hardware" process but then failed with an
"unable to
>> find file" error. I searched their CDs found the motherboard
driver
>> CD, same problem. Next I did an internet search and found the
>> driver, same problem.
>> Then I thought I'd just connect the PC to the router via USB, as
>> these ports obviously worked, but although the router reports its
>> self as a Thomson Speedtouch 7G, I couldn't find any drivers for
that
>> so settled for the USB NDIS drivers for the Speedtouch 780 WL as
this
>> looked the closest match.
>> However I was still getting the "unable to find file
error".

>> This is where it went horribly wrong, instead of uninstalling the
7G
>> modem I unistalled their working-fine ST 330 USB modem, trying to
>> reinstall it "unable to find file" install from CD ?
still no joy.
>> By this time I suspect the PC, but as time is short I thought I'd
>> install office on their laptop, transfer their files and get them
>> running that way while I sorted out the PC.
>> I have the office CD, but their have no record of their install
key,
>> more bizarrely there is no record of it on their invoice
(Evesham).