Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

Re: Freeview STB

Depending on your skills/confidence etc, you might find that you can
"bring
life back" to the remote.

I recently had a problem with some buttons not workong on our sky remote -
took it apart (only 6 components in total + 2 screws + 2 batteries),
carefully brushed away the dust off the keypad/contact side of the circuit
board and rinsed the rubber mat in clean water.  After leaving the mat to
dry, put it all back together now it works like new.

Many/most remotes have a rubber mat complete with buttons with conductive
underneaths over "s" shaped connections on the circuit board.
Pressing the
button pushes the condictuve underneath of the button/mat onto the
connections,....

Over time, dust etc can get underneath the buttons, so when you press, the
connection is no longer made.  If you have found you have to press some
buttons ever harder then this is likely the cause.

Most remotes are a really simple construction (NOT the flashy ones with LCD
screens etc).  So long as you are careful in opening it up you should be
able to put it back together.

And if you've already concluded that the alternative is a new STB then
you've not go anything to lose by trying :-)

HTH

jon

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Laurence Mason <laurence@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>   Our Daewoo DS608P Freeview STB is becoming a pain to use - the
remote
> does not always work - sometimes everything is okay and then sometimes
> only some of the buttons work. It's not the batteries so unless
someone
> knows of a way of bringing life back to the remote it is probably a
case
> of buying a new stb, as the cost of a new remote would be as much as a
> complete box!
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for STBs? I know it's not very
UKHA

--
www.jpdw.org / Information : The currency of the Future