Latest message you have seen: BBC, ITV to launch Freesat in 2008

RE: Is It Time for a Robot to Mow Your Lawn?

  • Subject: RE: Is It Time for a Robot to Mow Your Lawn?
  • From: "White, Peter" <peter.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:23:21 -0000

Yes and no.

As it happens I've designed the garden in our last 2 houses, and part of
that was to make it Robomow friendly, but really that only extended to not
having any isolated areas of lawn (i.e. a bit of grass that's accessed by a
narrow walkway, as it's not likely Robomow will find it every time), and
ensuring there's no major lumps or bumps, though it can deal with slopes
quite well, and the smooth tyres can be upgraded to knobbly ones for
rougher
lawns.

In terms of edging, like the video shows, it'll do 2 circuits around the
edge (using a wire boundary that's either set under the turf or pegged into
the lawn).  The best type of edge is where it's retained by brick, or
something else that's flat, because Robomow can then run along 'beyond' the
edge and eliminate the need for manual edging afterwards.  In the case
where
the lawns runs right up to a wall, then the sensors on Robomow will stop it
getting right up to the edge, leaving about a 2" run of grass that
will need
manual cutting, though that's really no different to any other kind of
mower.  In the box you get a 'roboruler' to help set the wire.  Obviously
you should immediately ignore that and try to get just a little bit closer
to the wall.

Laid in paving stones are no problem, as long as they're not sunk in too
low.  If they are, then Robomow will scalp the lawn edge around the paving
stone.

If you do have to peg the perimeter wire into an existing lawn, it quickly
vanishes as the grass grows over it.  It's entirely fool-proof too - I've
got a pond in my garden that Robomow could merrily just roll into, but it
never has done (yet).  The ends of the wires go into a little
(weatherproof)
control box that's powered by a 9v battery.

Pete