Latest message you have seen: RE: [OT] Old laptop wanted with parallel port

RE: Re: Choosing an Advanced Thermostat for Home

We have also opted for much simpler control than we had expected - as
it
turns out, the new X10 modules being sold by Lets Automate (the S10 ones)
don't have current sense, so they are perfectly safe to use on Central
Heating.

I have two of these modules, removed from their plastics (voids the
warranty
obviously, but at that price it's not a problem) and held in a dual gang
deep box with a bit of Hot glue - that's wired into the Central Heating
Controls, so we can pop the heating or water on by X10.

I use xplhal server to schedule up "boosts" - pops the heating or
water on
for an hour or so. I use Frank's probe kit to measure the temperature in a
couple of places (actually, Node 0, and the living room)..

if it's cold, then the heating "Pulses" a couple of times during
the night -
on for an hour at 3am then again at 7am. if it's not that cold, it stays
off. It's the same during the day - we get home from work about 5-30-6, so
the heating pops on about half four for an hour if it's cold.

nice and simple, but absolutely brilliant - so much so that we hardly ever
touch the heating any more - it's not that common to feel either hot enough
or cold enough to do something about it.

Ian.