Latest message you have seen: RE: Base-line power consumption

Re: Choosing an Advanced Thermostat for Home

  • Subject: Re: Choosing an Advanced Thermostat for Home
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:33:37 -0000

Please excuse my ignorance of heating things!! These look very cool
and a perfect step into improving heating in my house, especially with
the webby side of things :)

I have a bog standard temperature thermostat similar to this one
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/jgstat.gif

Nothing clever, i can have it either constant or timed at the boiler
side then the temperature limit on this thermostat.

If I understand correctly I should be able to replace with any
controller such as those shown in the article above,then I'd leave the
boiler on constantly and the controller just tells it to turn on and
off based on its own thermostat/timers etc etc

Is this correct?!

if thats right, what wires will be connecting the existing thermostat
to the boiler and will they be enough for the new ones?

Thanks
Noel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Simon McCaughey" <simonmcc@...>
wrote:

> Since we automated the heating in our home the thermostat is basically
> redundant.
>
> I use detailed timed programs, for example 10 mins on, 10 minutes
off, to
> control the overall temperature. Using various patterns the heating
control
> of the house is very easy, and surprisingly very stable.
>
> The other problem with our thermostats is that they are in the hall
and
> landing, and have no bearing on the heat in the important rooms.
>
> Sometimes I think we over-complicate things, our heating requires
some human
> input - ie does it feel cold in the house - yes then heat on for 30
> minutes/hour, no then 15 minutes per hour - simple!
>
> S.
>

> On 20/03/07, Mark McCall <lists@...> wrote:
> >
> > Carlton Bale has an interesting blog post on his investigations
into
> > choosing an Advanced Thermostat for his home. Well worth a read
of
you are