Latest message you have seen: [OT] Old laptop wanted with parallel port

Remote electricity usage monitoring

Hi all,

I've posted a similar query to this before, but figured a better
explanation
of the problem might actually help :)

Basically, we live in an apartment block. Our main electricity meter is
stored in a communal utility cupboard serving 6 separate apartments, right
down the hallway. Installing anything into this cupboard is out of the
question.

My goal is to be able to monitor electricity consumption within my
apartment
and log this information into SQL, similar to the setup at http://bwired.nl.

I have considered installing a local power meter module into my consumer
unit but this still presents the nasty technical challenge of converting
the
optional pulses into something that can be read from a PC. I'm not adverse
to doing this but wondered if there are any alternative products or guides
that may be useful.

Many thanks

Richard