Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Electric UFH &

Dammit ... 'forgotten what this thread's called ... sorry ...

Thanks, interesting ... I guess I was thinking more of something simple,
like an electronic crow-bar, that effectively shorts the mains & blows
the fuse if ever the voltage becomes excessive ... such approaches used
to be used in good-quality electronic equipment, maybe they still are
... maybe, too, today, a different technology would be the thing ...
such as that used for resettable fuses in consumer units, or RCD
shut-off devices ... but something that can pass 100A everyday, for the
heating system & other household equipment ... plus, of course, the UPS
to look-after the essentials !

Actually, thinking about it, with all this fancy HA we're all chasing
after, it ought to be possible to program it to tell when things aren't
what they ought to be, and do the necessary ... even if i's just keeping
an eye on mains voltage ...

OK ... what we need, is for Idratek & C-Bus to include a volts &
amps
measuring device in their ranges ...

'wonder if the Electrisave could be useful in this, now that Iain's
broken the code ?

'sorry, 'thinking out-loud !

Chris

-----

Saturday, 20 Jan'07 - 17:53:06 -0000

from: Graham Pye   Graham@xxxxxxx

To protect your electronic devices (eg: PC, TV, etc) then you just need
a UPS, which also has the benefit of keeping them going for a bit if you
have a power-cut.   I got mine from Andy Whitfield (www.upsman.co.uk)
who sells reconditioned UPSs on EBay, and is a very helpful guy !   To
regulate the voltage for the whole house, you can get constant voltage
transformers, but that would be an expensive solution for all the
electrics.   I used to work on things like that in a former life, but I
never really understood how they worked - it was something to do with
the characteristics of the core changing under the influence of some
control voltage, but it was a long time ago now !

Graham

-----

Saturday, 20 Jan'07 - 10:52:59 +0000

>peaking at over 300V ...

Interesting ... 'wonder if there's a device that could be used to limit
incoming voltages (with the winds we've been having, and the story from
Madrid a few days ago - 'though I know our earth's are better here,
thanks to the damp ... ) - 'could save having to dig up the floor if the
worst happens !

Also makes me wonder about our thoughts of going for wet UFH with
thermal stores & electric boilers, retaining the option of gas -- if
electric cables would be easy & less expensive, maybe we could keep the
option of gas through use of (for example) a Whispergen (sp?).

Chris