Re: Hello All! I'm looking for advice!

  • Subject: Re: Hello All! I'm looking for advice!
  • From: "john855042" <jdwinter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:48:25 -0000

Thanks for all the feedback guys -

Looks like cat5 is definately the way to go. So I'm thinking -

1 or 2 Cat5s to each light switch, wall panel, network point(of
course), TV (for display),the alarm panel, external CCTV points,
external PIR points, curtain opener points, boiler, valves, door
entries, telephone points, garden irrigation points,anywhere else I
think of - all terminated at a patch panel at head end.

I guess I don't need the server physically at the head end, but I'm
eyeing up a nice empty cupboard!

Multiple Cat5 from head end patch panel to Sky,Xbox360,HDTV (in
living room)
Should I drop coax in favor of more Cat5 from head end to living room
kit? Can cat5 realistically handle raw audio and perhaps even
component video? I've always used RG59 in the past.

How would I -

Interface to alarm panel (reccomended models?)
Interface to external PIR's ( I want to use GJD elites)
Capture CCTV video (IP camera, Capture cards?)
Actually switch the mains to external/internal lights? (via cat5 or
over the ring main?)

What HA software would be recommended to run on the server bearing in
mind I want to control it with web clients - I would prefer windows
based as I'm much more comfortable with it than linux.
I'm thinking of using streaming software on the server to distribute
music and video, but in the living room I think I'll leave the HD
stuff local. I intend to send Svideo from SkyHD up to the head end
for distribution via streaming.

Does all of this sound feasible to you guys or am I missing something
crashingly obvious?

John