Re: BA: something to tinker with

Thanks Lee,

I only managed to get it to display photos after downloading them via
the s/w. All attempts at directly writing to the SD card didn't work.
Maybe that's because I wrote jpegs & non-supported format mp3s though.
They don't make it easy!!

I wasn't particularly impressed with the screen quality - the pictures
I did manage to display were pretty poor quality. I wonder if there's
a better conversion tool than the supplied s/w?

I will continue with it for a bit longer, if I can find an mp3
re-ripper I might just keep it.

How they were ever going to sell at =A380 is beyond me too!!

Cheers,

Tim.

> You don't need to use the supplied software, I just stuck the supplied
> MMC card in my USB card reader and wrote some mp3s and downloaded
> example photos to it! It works fine...
>
> The main problem I've hit is that all the files have to be in the root
> folder of the MMC card, as it's FAT16, there can only be 128 files in
> the root, so it's basically limited to 128 files...
>
> I think I'm going to pick 128 of my favorite photos, convert them to
the
> necessary stupid 12bit raw bitmap format, make a usb-to-jack cable to
> power it, and sit it on my PC at work as it is, as the world cheapest
> (nastiest) digital photo frame... (that's runs the ucLinux operating
> system!)
>
> Lee
>
> PS. Quite frankly I can see why they bombed now... :(
>

> Tim Hawes wrote:
> > I got a couple of these today but am struggling with them, which
is
> > sad as I thought they had some promise :-(
> >
> > They only play stereo, 44kHz, 128kbps max bitrate mp3s, all of
mine
> > are 320kbps and the podcasts I was going to use it for are either
mono
> > (but play ok in WMP), not 44kHz :-(
> >
> > Is there a free mp3 re-ripper that will take any configuration of
mp3
> > as an input and spit it out in a format compatible for the
juicebox?
> > And as one-click as possible?
> > (paying *anything* for software rather wipes out the saving on
the
> > player and I might as well buy a better player that will take the
> > files directly)
> >
> > Photos too are also a bit pants because of the low resolution of
the
> > screen, but using it as a photo frame wasn't a big draw for me
anyway.

> > Oh, and it's not a drag and drop interface for putting files on
the SD
> > card - you have to use the supplied s/w.
> >
> > This forum made some interesting reading however, including
> > possibilities of driving the screen directly to use it as a
display
> > device etc. but I'm out of my depth there:
> > http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=3DS=
howBoard&Board=3DMJB&Idle=3D0&Sort=3D0&Order=3DDescend&Page=3D0&Session=3Dp=
rp
> > or
> > http://tinyurl.com/y5dr42
> >

> > Can anyone help me save this from the refund desk?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tim.
> >

> > On 1/12/07, Pankaj Dhokia <pankaj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> cut and paste from a forum:
> >>
> >> Ok, this one is for those who like to tinker....
> >>
> >> At Argos you can buy a "Juice Box" (with MP3
connection kit) for =A36.=

> >> http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3727270.htm
> >>
> >> The Juice box is basically a kids media player thing that
failed (It w=
as
> >> =A380!)
> >>
> >> Anyway, it has a 240x160 colour screen, accepts SD cards and
more
> >> importantly can be hacked....
> >>
> >> http://www.elinux.org/wiki/JuiceBox
> >>
> >> It can become a MP3 player or one of those digital picture
frames... y=
ou
> >> can even get it running a version of Linux!
> >>
> >> The Mp3 connection kit is worth the =A36 alone. You get a
Lexar 32meg =
SD
> >> card (of not that great these days). You also get one of
those USB to =
SD
> >> adapter things (which muct be worth =A34 alone). You also get
a USB
> >> extension cable.
> >>
> >> It can run off an power adapter (PSP power supply works
fine). There i=