RE: Hello All! I'm looking for advice!

  • Subject: RE: Hello All! I'm looking for advice!
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:54:17 -0000

Can only speak for CBUS, not any other system...

Cable topology with CBUS is completely free, - you can star wire, bus
wire,=
or a mixture of both. So it's completely up to you if you want (or don't w=
ant) to put 2 wires to a CBUS unit. Switches have screw terminals that
*can=
* take 2 CAT5 cables into them, but I prefer to run a single cable to
switc=
h positions, home run back to Node 0 and common them there. CBUS modules
(i=
.e. dimmers, relays, etc.) mostly use RJ45 sockets, and pretty much all
(in=
my experience) have 2 RJ45 sockets to facilitate continuing the network on=
to the next unit.

You *can* common the cables at Node 0 pretty much any way you choose, any
c=
onvenient terminal block and so on. I believe the best method is to common
=
up a block of RJ45 sockets on a patch panel, then terminate CBUS cables
wit=
h an RJ45 plug and use that as a very tidy and convenient connection
point.=
(DON'T get these ports mixed up with your Ethernet ones though!)

How many burdens you need depends on your CBUS network design. Suffice it
t=
o say that you need at least 1. I rather suspect that an
"average" UK size =
house probably won't need more than 1 however...

I'm not aware of any particular special Clipsal terminal block for CBUS,
bu=
t it wouldn't surprise me if there was (as you say, for =A3100 of
course!),=
however, like I already mentioned, any common terminating method is accept=
able as long as the termination is good.

HTH

Paul G.

ca=
> you just put in one and link them all up at either Node 0 or other
> convenient location with a terminal block?  Does this effect the bus
> performance? Do you need more than one burden? Is there a special
Clipsal
> terminal block to do this (for =A3100+ of course!!!)?
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> Pete
>=20
>=20
for
> C-Bus or Idratek ...
>=20
> Chris
>=20
>=20
>=20
> john855042 wrote:
>=20
> >Hello All,
> >
> >I hope you can offer me some advice as I take my first steps into
the
> >world of home automation!
> >
> >First =13 about me =13 10 years engineering in the following
fields,
> >CCTV, Data networks, Telephone systems, Alarm systems, Distributed
TV
> >systems, Electronic design (embedded controllers). For the last 6
> >years I have been involved in medical instrumentation, but still
keep
> >an active interest in all my old fields. I have currently around
the
> >house 4 PC's not including work laptops, and I have built them all
> >from scratch, and spend a lot of time tinkering. I would hope then
> >that I have at least some of the skills required to design and fit
> >HA system!
> >
> >I'm moving into a new house in the coming weeks and I have
realised
> >that all the systems that I want =13 CCTV, Security, Telephone,
Video
> >Door Entry, Distributed AV and Heating control could all be
> >integrated into a HA system. I used to fit most of the above
systems
> >as separate entities so I have my own ideas about the kit required
> >but I need a rethink when it comes to HA.
> >
> >Hopefully someone can offer advice on the best system to use. On
my
> >wishlist =13
> >
> >HDTV in Living room  - to have Sky HD and Xbox 360 connected
(xbox360
> >is a MCE client) =13 PIP for video door entry and CCTV events
> >Media Server (MCE/TVersity?)/HA server
> >CCTV (2-3 cameras)
> >Alarm System (panel to interface to HA?)
> >External Lighting & control
> >IP phone system?
> >
> >I want to be able to distribute Sky =13 maybe via IP or Svideo. At
the
> >moment HD will only be in the living room.
> >
> >I would like something like wall mounted `clients' - touchscreen
LCD
> >perhaps, that can interface with the server to control events,
> >display video or send AV to other local displays. I'm thinking of
> >nanoItx PC's with Linux webbrowsers and Lilliput touchscreens.
> >
> >OK- what I really need to know first is what wiring
recommendations
> >should I follow to cover every eventuality. I'm thinking of 2
Cat5e,