Latest message you have seen: Re: CurrentCost external install

Re: EDGE & 3G

EDGE is an enhancement to GSM and and according to Wikipedia offers a
theoretical maximum of 473kbps, so I don't see how it could be considered
3G
in the way UTMS based service could.

Of course it all depends on whether you want to classify 2G/3G by the
underlying technologies or the transmission rates and service offerings.

Andy

On 13/01/07, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> 'found this  :
>
> EDGE is a 3G-compliant data transfer technology that is up to three
> times faster than GPRS ...
>
> and :
>
> Martin Courtney, Network IT Week <http://www.networkitweek.co.uk/>
15
> Feb 2006
> <
> http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=v8/34d9/3/0/%2a/w%3B62975328%3B0-0%3B0%3B15128022%3B4252-336/280%3B19565108/19583002/1%3B%3B%7Efdr%3D63057830%3B0-0%3B6%3B14150510%3B4252-336/280%3B19410231/19428125/1%3B%3B%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp://mds.centrport.net/mdsefc?a20250041;MATT10CC18881P531780B531781S0;B531781;1

> <
> http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/jump/vnu.uk/telecoms;chan=news;sect=analysis;subsect=;topcat=communications;cat=telecoms;artid=2150339;page=article;tile=3;sz=336x280;ord=123456789?
> >
> Earlier this month, Orange became the only mobile operator in the UK
> commit itself to upgrading its current GPRS packet data services to
> higher speed connections based on Enhanced Data-rates for GSM
> Evolution (EDGE) technology.
>
> EDGE will provide roaming workers with an estimated 100-200kbit/s of
> mobile data bandwidth in the vast swathes of Britain where faster
third
> generation (3G) data services are currently unavailable. Whilst EDGE
> services should deliver more bandwidth for email, web browsing and
file
> transfer from notebook PC than GPRS, experts warn that the data rates
> quoted could prove optimistic.
>
> "The general rule of thumb is to take vendor/operator top bit
rates and
> halve them," warned John Delaney, principal analyst with research
firm
> Ovum.
>
> Whatever the speed, the faster data rates will cost no extra than
> current GPRS services, according to Orange spokesperson Stuart
Jackson,
> whilst availability will expand from 300 base stations to 1,500 by the
> end of 2006. To prevent customers enjoying the benefits of lower cost
> mobile broadband all the time, however, EDGE connections will not be
> available in areas already covered by Orange's 3G network, only where
> 3G signal is unavailable.
>
> "The 3G rollout is still the main focus for Orange. EDGE is an
add-on
> for customers, which we knew we could do quickly, and pushes further
> into rural locations that aren't currently covered by 3G and are
> unlikely to be for some time," said Jackson.
>
> Orange's commitment to a nationwide EDGE rollout was well telegraphed
by
> a series of regional trials and pilots. But whilst the other three UK
> mobile operators with a GSM/GPRS infrastructure in place (3 has only a
> 3G network) all trialled EDGE, none have decided to deploy the
> technology as a commercial service.
>
> Despite ongoing problems with 3G coverage - it is virtually pointless
> attempting to gain a 3G signal outside the UK's major cities - O2,
> Vodafone and T-Mobile are all committed to expanding their 3G networks
> over the next five to ten years, and have no plans to upgrade GPRS
data
> services in areas of non-3G coverage in the meantime.
>
> "3G offers the best infrastructure for delivering high speed
data.
> Vodafone UK already offers data rates of 384kbit/s to 72 percent of
the
> UK population and coverage is continually expanding," said
Vodafone head