Latest message you have seen: RE: [ADVERT] Audiotron and SCART Switcher + Other "STUFF"

Re: Smart Fridge was MCE Washing Machine

It does sometimes work the other way round, though ... I guess we can
see the point of HA, but do our other halves ?   In the early days of
most things, the costs in time & money really don't justify the
benefits, for normal people, only for enthusiasts ... only much later,
does everyone wonder what they did without it ...

Chris

Mal Lansell wrote:

>The real issue is that these ideas are "solutions in search of a
>problem", which is completely the wrong way to go about things.
I've
>got a horrible feeling that this is a movie quote, but the trick is to
>identify a need and then fulfill that need.
>
>What problem is an auto-ordering fridge is trying to solve?  That you
>may forget to buy the right things when you go shopping?  If that's the
>case, how about an intranet version of an online grocery store - you
add
>things to it when you realise you need them -perhaps via a touchscreen
>in the kitchen, and if you print it out before you go to the store you
>won't forget to pick everything up.  You could even have a feature to
>add recipes, so that everything required for a meal is on the shopping
list.

>Anything that tries to be more clever than that is doomed to fail.
>
>Mal
>

>kwatt@xxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>Exactly Mal and, the first time that it happens or so the customer
will
>>complain, of course blaming the machine as of course they could
never
>>be at
>>fault could they?
>>
>>The problem here is that we're all pretty tolerant of technology
and
>>highly
>>likely to analyse the problem, then fix it or work around it. Joe
>>Blogs just
>>isn't.
>>
>>K.
>>
>>From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx
<mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>]
On
>>Behalf Of
>>Mal Lansell
>>Sent: 25 November 2006 20:54
>>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
>>Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Smart Fridge was MCE Washing Machine
>>
>>Even that isn't going to work unless the fridge knows what you want
for
>>dinner tonight. There's plenty of short-life stuff that I don't
replace
>>as soon as I use - I wait until I actually need it, otherwise it
will
>>end up being thrown out.
>>
>>The whole auto-ordering thing is fine for factories, but not for
people.

>>Mal
>>
>>Lehane Kellett wrote:
>>

>>>The problem isn't just manufacturers, its a whole long
chain....

>>>Take the smart fridge.
>>>
>>>The nirvana would be one (or a system) that knows what is in
there and
>>>when it expires, where to order it from, what the alternatives
are and
>>>whether it was a one off.
>>>
>>>As you say, that really needs item level RFID on pretty much
every item
>>>- not coming anytime soon for most of the items in the fridge
for a host
>>>of reasons.
>>>But even if the manufacturers tag them, the chances are the
consumer
>>>lobbies are going to ensure they are de-activated when you
leave the
>>>store, just in case....
>>>And anyway the tag won't have an expiry date on it, just a
code, so
>>>you'll have to go online to some enormous database/webservice
provided
>>>by...who?
>>>As for an alternate brand, well that referral service will have
to be
>>>paid for (probably by another manufacturer/supplier) so it is
hardly
>>>going to be independent.
>>>
>>>So, depressing as it is, many solutions which are feasible
aren't going
>>>to happen at a pace we'd all like, if ever.

washing

>>>machine or

>>>rather

>>or that