Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: New Current Cost Unit on sale...

Re: Smart Fridge was MCE Washing Machine

The real issue is that these ideas are "solutions in search of a
problem", which is completely the wrong way to go about things.  I've
got a horrible feeling that this is a movie quote, but the trick is to
identify a need and then fulfill that need.

What problem is an auto-ordering fridge is trying to solve?  That you
may forget to buy the right things when you go shopping?  If that's the
case, how about an intranet version of an online grocery store - you add
things to it when you realise you need them -perhaps via a touchscreen
in the kitchen, and if you print it out before you go to the store you
won't forget to pick everything up.  You could even have a feature to
add recipes, so that everything required for a meal is on the shopping
list.

Anything that tries to be more clever than that is doomed to fail.

Mal

kwatt@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Exactly Mal and, the first time that it happens or so the customer
will
> complain, of course blaming the machine as of course they could never
> be at
> fault could they?
>
> The problem here is that we're all pretty tolerant of technology and
> highly
> likely to analyse the problem, then fix it or work around it. Joe
> Blogs just
> isn't.
>
> K.
>
> From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>]
On
> [...]
> Mal Lansell
> Sent: 25 November 2006 20:54
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Smart Fridge was MCE Washing Machine
>
> Even that isn't going to work unless the fridge knows what you want
for
> dinner tonight. There's plenty of short-life stuff that I don't
replace
> as soon as I use - I wait until I actually need it, otherwise it will
> end up being thrown out.
>
> The whole auto-ordering thing is fine for factories, but not for
people.

> Mal
>
> Lehane Kellett wrote:
>
> > The problem isn't just manufacturers, its a whole long chain....
> >
> > Take the smart fridge.
> >
> > The nirvana would be one (or a system) that knows what is in
there and
> > when it expires, where to order it from, what the alternatives
are and
> > whether it was a one off.
> >
> > As you say, that really needs item level RFID on pretty much
every item
> > - not coming anytime soon for most of the items in the fridge for
a host
> > of reasons.
> > But even if the manufacturers tag them, the chances are the
consumer
> > lobbies are going to ensure they are de-activated when you leave
the
> > store, just in case....
> > And anyway the tag won't have an expiry date on it, just a code,
so
> > you'll have to go online to some enormous database/webservice
provided
> > by...who?
> > As for an alternate brand, well that referral service will have
to be
> > paid for (probably by another manufacturer/supplier) so it is
hardly
> > going to be independent.
> >
> > So, depressing as it is, many solutions which are feasible aren't
going
> > to happen at a pace we'd all like, if ever.
> >
> > Lehane
> >
> > Ian Lowe wrote:
> > >
> > > I can easily see the point of a smart fridge, but not a
washing
> > machine or
> > > drier (at least, not in that sense).
> > >
> > > When we start seeing large scale rollout of RFID tags per
product,
> > rather
> > > than per pallet, you could imagine having a smart washing
machine that
> > > (for
> > > instance) alerts you if you have a sensitive item in a hot
wash,
> or that
> > > automatically picks the right program for a given load of
washing. you
> > > could
> > > see having the right amount of detergent or softener
dispensed from a
> > > reservoir, rather than having to put in the right amount for
each
> wash.
> > >
> > > For a fridge, the thought of the fridge knowing exactly what
is
> > inside it,
> > > expiry dates (because it knows when the item first appeared)
and
> so on,
> > > smart re-ordering etc.
> > >
> > > It's frustrating when there are so many ways in which this
stuff
> *could*
> > > work, and the manufacturers just don't seem to "get
it".

Date: