Latest message you have seen: Re: [OT] usual question what to buy in the USA?

RE: [OT] Question about MCE 2005

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Question about MCE 2005
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:18:56 +0100

Hi Keith

Yup, - I bought a copy of MCE2005 last year, - not *only* because it's the
=
best value version to buy (ISTR it cost me about =A370ish), but I did
actua=
lly want it for a MCE machine...

However, what I can tell you is that if you don't want to use the MCE
featu=
res, then you can just regard it in all senses as XP Pro. - It will work
wi=
th all the same drivers etc as regular XP Pro. The additional HCL
requireme=
nts listed for MCE are just for the MCE environment, which is *very* fussy
=
about certain drivers (mainly graphics card). If you never intend to fire
u=
p the MCE interface, then just ignore all those requiremtents and build a
m=
achine just as you would for any other version of XP.

I have even installed and run MCE2005 in a virtual machine, - works
absolut=
ely perfectly *until* I fire up the MCE interface, - when I just get a
blan=
k screen and a bunch of error messages...

Incidentally, I know you're not concerned about domain membership, but
it's=
actuall a fallacy the MCE can't join a domain... - the option is there dur=
ing the OS install to join a domain, - just as it is in all other XP
Versio=
ns... - what *isn't* there is the option to join/change domain membership
a=
fter the OS is installed, - and even then, all MS have done is remove the
G=
UI elements that give you access to those features. I have seen at least 2
=
different workarounds to this so that MCE *can* change domain membership
as=
freely as any other version of XP...

HTH

Paul G.

so=20
> that leaves me with a choice of MCE or Pro.
>=20
> Now the question....
>=20
> ... from the information that I have seen the minimum requirements=20
> for Home and Pro are=20
>=20
> "Computer - PC with a 233 MHz or faster processor
> Memory - 128 MB of RAM"
>=20
> but for MCE there is no minimum processor shown and I cant see it
on=20
> the M$ site either but what I have seen is the following
>=20
> "Memory - 256 MB of PC133 Synchronous Dynamic Random Access
Memory=20
> (SDRAM) is recommended.
>=20
> Drive - A DVD-compatible drive is required, and the Media Center=20
> computer must have built-in "Designed for Windows XP DVD
playback"=20
> MPEG/DVD decoder. The DVD drive must read DVDs at 4x and CDs at 16x=20
> speed.
>=20
> Graphics Card - 64-MB graphics card using DDR with 4x AGP and=20
> Microsoft DirectX=AE 9 application programming interface support=20
> (recommended having "Designed for Windows XP Media Center
Edition"=20