Re: Distinctive ring tones on BT lines

  • Subject: Re: Distinctive ring tones on BT lines
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:25:59 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Neil Ball" <neilball@b...> wrote:
> I've just reached the stage of wanting to add a telephone interface
to my
> heating controls so I have simple remote access. At the moment I use
the BT
> callminder service and don't want to use a dedicated line for the
telephone
> interface. My problem is that each device looks to answer the line
after a
> set umber of rings, so both cannot normally share a line. I know that
BT
> have a system where you can request a second separate number for
your line
> that rings with a different ring tone, they call it Call Sign. Has
anyone
> tried this combination of services to know if it works - I was
assuming that
> I could set my telephone interface to answer after say 12 rings and
leave
> the callminder service to answer after 8. This way if anyone calls
my normal
> landline and I am not around then the answerphone captures the call.
If I
> ring the second number then I am assuming that callminder will not
operate
> so the telephone interface will then take the call. It seems like to
cheap
> way to achieve what I need, so has anyone tried this & knows
whether
it will
> work before I sign up?

It works, and works very well.
I am a bit confused about the bit about the number of rings. You can
buy a callsign adapter which will filter out calls to each number, so
that the callsign socket only rings when one of the two numbers
assigned to the physical line rings. Plug one device into each adapter
and you are set.

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/bt_twin_talk.htm

And call minder will only pick up calls to the primary number.

Patrick