Distinctive ring tones on BT lines

  • Subject: Distinctive ring tones on BT lines
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:16:40 +0100

I've just reached the stage of wanting to add a telephone interface to my
heating controls so I have simple remote access. At the moment I use the BT
callminder service and don't want to use a dedicated line for the telephone
interface. My problem is that each device looks to answer the line after a
set umber of rings, so both cannot normally share a line. I know that BT
have a system where you can request a second separate number for your line
that rings with a different ring tone, they call it Call Sign. Has anyone
tried this combination of services to know if it works - I was assuming
that
I could set my telephone interface to answer after say 12 rings and leave
the callminder service to answer after 8. This way if anyone calls my
normal
landline and I am not around then the answerphone captures the call. If I
ring the second number then I am assuming that callminder will not operate
so the telephone interface will then take the call. It seems like to cheap
way to achieve what I need, so has anyone tried this & knows whether it
will
work before I sign up?

Neil B.