Re: Probe Hub Update

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Probe Hub Update
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:11:26 -0000

> Just two things I disagree with...
>=20
> 1."this approach won't be much use with momentary switches as=20
several can
> connect to a single LD11"
>=20
> Because all the switches are in parallel, monitoring the voltage on=20
any
> switch will show any other switch being pressed.
>=20

You're right of course (one day I'll catch you out ;-) ) but it=20
appears I had misunderstood Frank anyway and it IS the output he=20
would monitor and not the switch(es).

> 2. "HomeVision does keep track of what it thinks the state of
each=20
module
> is, but this is based purely on the commands passed through HV."
>=20
> Not quite true. Homevision will monitor X10 transmissions on the=20
powerline
> and use those to track levels even though HomeVision may have=20
played no part
> in the action eg using an IR543 to turn on the lounge lamps. It=20

Yeah I thought that might be the case, which is why I hinted at it=20
elsewhere with the Comfort example. However another problem=20
with 'monitoring' x10 is the spurious stuff that seems to fly around.=20
For example in my house, which has a filter protecting me from the=20
outside world (and vice versa) I can not use code A1 because there=20
are ON commands sent to that on an almost daily basis. Homevision can=20
see them and modules react to them, but nothing in my set up is=20
sending them! We all know that x10 is not perfect and so I would not=20
trust HV to be fully aware or to fully trust x10 commands that it=20
didn't issue. However the biggest problem is certainly people=20
pressing buttons ;-)