RE: Monitoring X10 dimmers > was: Probe Hub Update

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Monitoring X10 dimmers > was: Probe Hub Update
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:17:06 +0100

It could possibly be done with a PIC chip and a couple of opto-isolators.

One is connected to permanant lie to detect the start of the mains cycle,
the other to the output of the dimmer. Measuring the time between zero
crossing and dimmer output occuring would give an indication of brightness.

No output from dimmer obviously indicates OFF.
Almost instant output from dimmer indicates 100%
2mS =3D 80%
4mS =3D 60%
6mS =3D 40%
8ms =3D 20%

Based on 50Hz where each half cycle is 10mS.

Not a particularly neat method but it could work, whether its worth the
effort is another thing. I think it would be better to use a PIC chip as a
bridge between X10 (with a TW523) and commercial dimmer packs that use
either 0-10V analogue or DMX and program the PIC to provide status
requests=
.

You could then include scenes etc within the PIC coding.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv

monitoring=20
> > > the LD11 status...My intension was to monitor the
momentry=20
> > > switch which i believe turns the module on 100% or
0%....i=20
> > > would not intend to monitor the actual brightness %  ..I
m=20
> > > assuming hv would be able to do this and it would only be
a=20
> > > problem it the power was turned off then on ??..If theres=20
> > > enough interest for the momentry monitoring then i will
have=20
> > > a look at it......Probably a din rail version of the
Probe=20