Re: X10 dimmable Transformers for LV halogens

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: X10 dimmable Transformers for LV halogens
  • From: "Matt P." <matt.l@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 07:09:14 -0000

Yes, the cable lenghts and dimensions are important.  I tried to get=20
away with a 2.5mm for 100W over 5m and the lights were about 1/3=20
less bright than the ones with local transformers.

When you dim halogen their colour temperature changes a fair bit=20
too, from crisp white in my case to a moody yellow, which I think is=20
OK.=20=20

As a slight update to my earlier message, the buzz from the=20
transformers is almost totally blocked by the plasterboard in the=20
ceiling so I've decided to leave them there.  What I was shocked to=20
find though, was that the 12V 50W 60degree (very wide angle of light=20
for general lighting) halogen bulbs were responsible for all the=20
audible buzz so I had to replace the Sylvania (?) bulbs they had=20
supplied with Osram ones instead, these are totally quiet when=20
dimmed.

Cheers,
Matt