RE: Re: [ot] one for the networking guru's

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [ot] one for the networking guru's
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:10:01 +0100

I'm with Paul on this one I have to say...

...I'm finding that running 10/100 switched is at times a complete PITA on
my servers when I'm copying around 6 or 7 Gb files.

Transfer speeds to/from good fast SCSI arrays can be pretty impressive - I
set one up a while ago with a mate who does a lot of contract database
design work on a machine he has at home and we were getting sustained
write=
in excess of 50Mbytes/sec and reads in excess of 74Mbytes/sec using (IIRC)
HDTach using an Adaptec U160 SCSI RAID controller and striped array of
10,000 rpm SCSI drives. Yes, it's noisy as buggery and gives of a lot of
heat but the access times and transfer rates are stunning!

Even on my DVD server I'm finding that the limiting factor for how many
movies can be played simultaneously is (at the moment) the 100Mbit link to
the switch which is saturating first - I currently have a RocketRAID404
car=
configured as RAID 0 (striped) with 8 x ATA133 drives which don't appear to
be getting hammered and the load on the server remains at less than 30%
(according to Win2k Server Task Manager).

If I could afford one I'd definitely look at a 24 x 10/100 + 2 x Copper
Gigabit switch...

Phil

wrote:
> > > Mate be4 even considering this what is your current
throughput ?
> > Where are
> > > the bottlenecks ?
> > >
> > > I might be an idea to nail out your bottlenecks before
> > proceeding...
> > >
> > > An example : Is 1 minute to transfer a 700Meg DivX file not
fast
> > enough ?
> > > Why am I not transfering this fast already ?
> > >
> > > Think of the software a nd architecture first.
> > >
> > > Shaf

infrastructure?

> > > I guess this is a routing issue but how do you tell XP and
W2K