Re: [ot] one for the networking guru's

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ot] one for the networking guru's
  • From: "yhkeppy" <keith@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 17:26:36 -0000

I agree with this. I'd also add that 100Mbps is actually quite fast=20
in comparison with current disk transfer rates. When you consider=20
that a really fast ATA100 disk can write sustained at around 35MB/s=20
(which really is disk to disk across the disk bus on the same=20
machine with no CPU intervention), when you then have to get that=20
read/write cycle across the disk bus and out onto the comms bus when=20
its not sustained either, that's going to go much over 15-20MB/s -=20
and this is almost the same speed as a maxed out 100Mbps network!!

Sure gigabit network will remove A bottleneck, but I doubt it will=20
be the killer in your scenario. You could put second 100Mbps cards=20
into the machines, cross connect them and subnet them off. Assuming=20
they are also not connected together via a second network, you will=20
avoid routing loops and you should theoretically get the maximum=20
efficiency out of the link.

By the way, SATA and SCSI are actually not a lot faster than modern=20
IDE - the latest IDE drives are right up there on performance, and=20
SATA only improves this by a smallish margin. The real difference is=20
in big storage architectures, where you can just have more SATA or=20
SCSI disk in a single store.

Keith

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Shaf Ali" <shaf@s...> wrote:
> Mate be4 even considering this what is your current throughput ?=20
Where are
> the bottlenecks ?
>=20
> I might be an idea to nail out your bottlenecks before=20
proceeding...