Re: barcode scanner and automated shopping

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: barcode scanner and automated shopping
  • From: "jim" <jim@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu 9 Oct 2003 02:35:26 -0700

Stuart,

Being a Microsoft Technologies person, (dont hate me :-))

I was thinkig along the lines of:

SQL Server database
Web Front end for uploads and downloads and search etc.
WebService interface (SOAP/XML etc) to allow apps to direct query the
database
and add and remove items.

I think this should cater for all needs.

Id be happy to start setting this up, ive started thinking about the design
etc
One initial problem that needs resolving is the naming convention of
products for people that already have databases. e.g. Heinz Barbeque beans,
Person A could have them in their database as Heinz, Barbeque Beans, Person
B could have Heinz BBQ Beans
, Person C could have Heinz, Beans, BBQ flavour.
One resolution to this would be to use the very first description for the
product, so if another person uploads a database with the same item, (we
will know this from the barcode) we ignore the new item upload and keep the
existing one.

I guess there must already be a standard schema for products in the form of
:
Manufacturer, ProductName, Weight/Volume, etc.

jim