From: Alex Monaghan [mailto:ha@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 12:39 PM
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Moving a thermostat.

> OK, so for starters, any recomendations for a new thermostat?=20
> What should I be=20
> looking for? What about ideas for a home brew one?

I just got a cheap one from Screwfix (but also ended up getting new tank
stat and controller and moving the control until to the kitchen !) This
seems to be fine (apart from it now being too easy for SWMBO to operate !)

> And secondly, how do I go about moving it? Any links for me=20
> to have a look at?

I moved a radiator under my old one so had to move this as well, the cable
(still left in the wall) to the old one is 3 core + earth. If your run from
controller to stat avoids "hot places", then I guess normal 3core
+ earth
lighting cable would do the job as the main fuse for mine is only 3A (I
use=
heat resistant multi core for all the connections, but I guess this may
hav=
been overkill)

If your current installation is as bad as my old one, then you might be
bes=
ripping it out and starting again, if not, then you should have a visible
room stat connection from the back of the current controller, it's then
jus=
a case of swapping the connections for you new one (with the circuit
isolated of course). I didn't have a diagram for my old controller, but did
find one doing a google search for it.

Might be worth putting thermostatic valves on your radiators as well, this
has really helped keep the heat where needed in our house. Or you could get
really OTT and have a temp sensor and motorised valve on each rad all
linke=
back to the controller in Node 0, this of course would be the proper HA
route.

UKHA 2004: 15th and 16th May 2004

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20