RE: Linux Mail Server

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Linux Mail Server
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:08:27 +0100

I'm not a RedHat fan but...

You should have Sendmail or Qmail, possibly Exim as available installation
options, these will provide you "Mail Server".
You then need to install / configure a POP3/IMAP mail server so you can
read
the mailboxes, look at something like Qpopper for this.
You then can configure Outlook to point to the POP3/SMTP server on your
Linux box.
Next you need to get mail from the outside world, I use Fetchmail to do
this, it will collect from you ISP's POP3 server and deliver to your SMTP
server ready for delivery to your local mailboxes
Finally have a look at something like www.openwebmail.org for a web based
mail client.

I've done this on Debian, so see no reason why you should have any problems
with RedHat.

With a bit of "tweaking" with Fetchmail you can have your ISP
deliver all
mail to a single mailbox and then get your local SMTP server deliver to the
desired local mailboxes and then configure the whole family with individual
mailboxes (SWMBO won't be without her mailbox now). Also, if you have a
static IP address and your own domain, you could set the MX records
directly
to your server.

The only issue I get with this sort of config is that some sites (AOL
etc...) don't accept mail delivery from my IP address as it's a residential
Cable Modem, but you should be able to configure the SMTP server to relay
via your ISP (on my To Do list).

Ideally you'd want to put the web mail on a port other than 80 for
security,
but you'll not be able to get to it from work if you do (unless you can
convince our group security to open another port on the proxies !)

Alex

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IBOolB/TM