Re: Video ripping question?

Mark, I have had  a similar story with capture cards: basically I started
with an AMD K6-2 350MHz. I now run an Intel PIII Cu-Mine (133FSB) at 800Mb
with 192Mb of CAS-2 PC-133 SDRAM Memory, and an ATA-66 Quantum IDE Drive. I
use an ATI AIW Pro 128 32Mb AGP Video Card, and this config is capable of
recording video without dropping frames (well, that's not true. I drop a
frame every 20,000 frames captured. (one every thirteen minutes))

I record straight to DivX with a video resolution of 300x400, using high
motion codec, with a keyframe every second, and a max bitrate of 2100. I
don't compress the audio in real time (a common mistake)  because, even at
800MHz, the proc is not fast enough. A friend's Athlon 1Ghz is >just<
fast
enough for this. I capture audio at 172Kbps CD Quality.

In addition, I don't use the ATI VCR-2 codec as the format, I use the ATI
capture device, but use CUY2 as the format. Basically, VCR-2 uses 12-bit
colour, which seems to cause "splotchiness" in the captured
video.

I would say that really any card prior to about Q2 99 should be regarded as
a doorstop by now, but that could be plain snobbery.  I have a Hauppage
WinTV in my desktop PC (the ATI machine is dedicated as a tivo/ddar
solution) and it can't perform anywhere near as well as the ATI AIW....

Ian.