Re: Whew! pretty long dry spell here is ASA

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020 at 2:07:21 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 9/21/2020 6:39 PM, Jim Davis wrote:=20
> > Hasn't anyone got anything going on that's worth talking about?=20
> >=20
> > I'm installing these Napco Starlink radios one after another. Everybody=
 want's to control their alarm system with their phones. They like the text=
 messaging. Especially the businesses. They can see who's coming and going =
and when. JUst wish I could integrate some video with it. The IBridge has v=
ideo and Zwave capability but their video is only with Napco cameras ---- a=
nd they suck.=20
> >=20
> > Four installed last week alone, got half a dozen more coming up in the =
next couple of weeks along with some 3G to 4G upgrades. Most of those didn'=
t have messaging when I installed them so I expect I'll be able to up sell =
some of them on the messaging for a little bump up in the monthly RMR.=20
> >=20
> > Local Dunkin Doughnuts got held up with shots fired next door to one of=
 my alarm accounts. So - - - - now I've got a 12 camera installation I'm wo=
rking on.=20
> >=20
> > I may have already mentioned this but one of my long time customers who=
m I've moved with for about 30 years is this time moving into a 60,000 squa=
re foot building. It's going to be a gradual move wo I should be able to ke=
ep up with it by myself. Although this time I was able to get the electrici=
an to run my wires while he had is crew and man lifts. Only partial system =
in now but I installed the Napco 255 zone panel and a huge wiring cabinet w=
ith lots of wiring terminals. I also put a keypad in the wiring cabinet so =
I don't have to keep running (seems like) 1/4 of a mile to see what the pan=
el is doing. I put in a humongus Altronix aux power supply that can be moni=
tored of course got a Starlink radio. Used Bosch's ceiling motion detectors=
 because of the height of the stringers in the warehouse. They seem to work=
 pretty good now but I'll have to see how it goes when they start to move i=
n some of their equipment. I ordered some armored sheathing for the door wi=
ring and put all the contacts on the tops of the overhead doors. Seven of t=
hem so far. More to come as they modify the building over the next couple o=
f years. The owner is making a space to park his 720S McClarin so he doesn'=
t have to leave it outside when he comes to work. If you've never seen one =
go to the website. Whatta car !!!=20
> >=20
> > This friday I've got to go and do a survey of a home of someone who wan=
ts to upgrade their 30 year old DSC residential alarm system. With the brie=
f look that I took the system has alarm screens and most of the pull plugs =
are broken off and the wires just twisted together. I didn't get to go thro=
ugh the whole house (which is why I'm going back) but I think they have a m=
otion detector in every room of the house. Only the front door has a contac=
t on it the rest of the perimeter doors don't - - - - I guess dependent upo=
n the motion detectors but of course only when they aren't home. I've gotta=
 in this home. These folks are getting ready to become snowbirds so they wa=
nt to be able to control the alarm from Florida and they want cameras too. =
They asked me for a ball park and I just threw $5000.00 at them and it didn=
't seem to raise and eyebrow. so we'll see how it winds up.=20
> >=20
> > Got another customer moving to a new location. Had to borrow an install=
er from a friend to run the wires to the back of the warehouse and wire in =
the overheads and exit doors. I installed the panel and did the front doors=
 and glass. Took 1 day with me and the installer and one day me alone.=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > The rest of the stuff is just replacing contacts on new doors or window=
s. Installing Ring doorbells. Replacing window foil with glass shock sensor=
s=20
> >=20
> > Did the final touches on a BIG ranch house with an apartment. I did eve=
rything --- Alarm system ,partitioned, TV'x, Arlo Cameras. Surround sound s=
peakers in ceiling in living room. Internet network for their home, his off=
ice and for the apartment. Set up two WiFi networks with bridged routers. W=
iring for internet telephone and landline for fax. Installed pull down TV b=
racket over the fireplace and set up a Denon receiver for their sound syste=
m. I enjoy jobs like that where I do it all. I don't have to work around so=
meone else's work.=20
> >=20
> > Well that's all I can think of right now.=20
> > Maybe is will be some kind of stimulus to get this thing moving again.=
=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >
> Topic: Adventures On The LOWER Lower River=20
> http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/index.php/topic,10300.0.html=20
>=20
> Topic: The Lower Lower River - REVISITED=20
> http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/index.php/topic,10317.0.html=20
>=20
> Sorry, not alarm related other than I turn the alarm on in the shop=20
> before I go. Its a little more metal working related since I use a lot=20
> of lures made in molds I machined in the shop.=20
>=20
> My wife is having back surgery next week, so even my time in the shop=20
> may be limited for a while.

Hey Bob, you tell a good story. I'd bet there's a sports fishing paper, new=
s letter etc/ around that would pay for those kind of narratives. Even an o=
nline blog would get you a lot of followers, I'd bet.
When I was a kid, I used to go up state NY every summer where all my relati=
ves are and my Uncle Joe would take me fishing. He wasn't a pro or anything=
 but he sure knew his fish and the waters of the St Lawrence River. I remem=
ber that he could tell the difference between what kind of fish was biting =
at his bait. We didn't do too much with lures. mostly worms and live bait. =
I was 8 years old when I caught my first small mouth bass. Probably weighed=
 a couple of pounds. Maybe not but it seemed like it to me.  I remember I w=
as so proud when I came home to show my mom. He had a 14 foot wooden rowboa=
t and a 10 horse Johnson outboard. This was before the St Lawrence Seaway a=
nd the river had some really big rapids. He'd take that little boat just up=
 to the edge of the rapids and throw out what was his anchor overboard ( he=
 had a big heavy duty metal wash pail filled with cement for an anchor, I h=
ave no idea how much that thing must have weighed) We had to put out a lot =
of anchor line so the rapids wouldn't pull the bow down underwater. The anc=
hor would always drag until it caught on a rock. We'd put anywhere from a 1=
 to 6 ounce lead sinkers and a worm or minnow on a leader tied about a foot=
 or two above the sinker and drop it over into the rapids. These are not li=
ttle rapids now. The water is about 20 feet deep and the water is right nex=
t to the boat, running about a foot or two higher than the gunnels. Now whe=
n I think about it --- it was crazy but we did it dozens of times. Pulling =
in small mouth bass, pickerel, pike and REAL BIG perch. And every once in a=
while a small muskie. Never had a bad day at that spot.  I loved the perch.=
 Coat them with a little bit of flour, drop them in a cast iron fry pan ful=
l of hot oil on a charcoal grill and the meat would just fall off the bone.=
 Especially the big ones. I really loved my Uncle Joe. he had 3 girls so I =
guess I was the son he never had. He had to work obviously but sometimes he=
 could sneak away. He'd tell me the day before so I'd go out and water the =
lawn that day and pick a couple of tin cans full of big juicy night crawler=
s with a flash light till 10 o'clock at night. Then he'd come in my room be=
fore dawn and whisper to wake me up so we could sneak out of the house with=
out waking anyone. It was real exciting for a kid at that age. Getting down=
 to the landing where he kept the boat tied up and rowing away the shallow =
rocky bottom water, in the dark. Starting the engine and letting me handle =
it until we got close to which ever spot he'd chosen for the few hours we c=
ould spend until he had to go to work. I think he lost at least a half a do=
zen pair of glasses from knocking them in the water when he'd try to snag a=
 fish. I can still see him with the Camel cigarette hanging from his mouth,=
 with the embers blowing in the wind while he's cranking the reel trying to=
 pull in a fish. And as old as he was, he was always excited with a big gri=
n on his face when he was reeling in a fish. I never got a bigger fish then=
 he did on every trip we took. And you have to remember, these weren't fibe=
rglass rods and spinning reels either. Can't tell you how many hours I spen=
t untangling the back lashed lines on those reels. I'd take more than one r=
eel, just is case.=20
For a few years when the kids were young, we'd go fishing off the local doc=
k for blow fish and snappers and when I finally bought a boat, we'd go for =
flounder, black fish, fluke and my all time favorite Weakfish. But as the k=
ids out grew fishing, the boat and me, I stopped salt water fishing. I'm pr=
etty much a loner so I didn't fall in with the beer drinking fishing crowd.=
 So that's when my wife and i started taking some of out boating trips to N=
antucket, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Newport. We took some really grea=
t boating trips up the Hudson river, Atlantic City, and too many other plac=
es to name here. We have a lot of great memories.
Anyway, where I live now there's not much fresh water fishing and besides, =
now days you have to stand in line to do anything. Or fish a stream or lake=
 with 5 other fishermen within a hundred feet. Very few, if any places left=
 to go to just be alone and fish near me. And although there's the ocean, m=
ankind just like everything else, has ruined it. It's just plain old dirty =
gray, brown or black water that I wouldn't eat anything I caught anyway. An=
d fishing off the back of yacht with what amounts to a stiff broom handle a=
nd busting my ass trying to crank the winch-like reel on it to go blue fish=
 or sea bass fishing is not my idea of fishing.
30 some odd years ago I tried to do some fly fishing and i tried it for a c=
ouple of years. Reading and trying to practice in the back yard but just co=
uldn't master the cast on my own to my satisfaction and I didn't know anyon=
e that I could learn from. I didn't even know anyone who did fly fishing. S=
ome people said I did ok but they weren't fishermen and it just didn't feel=
 right to me and it usually took me 3 or 4 tries to get the fly where I wan=
ted it. There was never a trip that I didn't whip snap a fly off. I was goi=
ng to try to find someone to give me lessons but I just never did and gradu=
ally gave it up. I still have the rig somewhere down in the basement but it=
's probably turned to dust by now. I gave my waders to my wife's cousin who=
 does surf fishing. Now days, every once in a while I go down and open my f=
ishing box when I need a piece of nylon line for some project or to hang up=
 one of my wife's chimes or climbing flowers on the patio.
So that's the end of my fishing story. Yours obviously is still in progress=
. Cherish it.

Best wishes for your wife's recovery