Re: Dell laptops are junk...

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 5:49:59 PM UTC-5, RTS wrote:
> On 12/7/2018 7:08 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-5, RTS wrote:
> >> As for DOS,=C2=A0 we still use parts of an old Alpha 4 data base and t=
he
> >> upload/download software for
> >>
> >> FBII's, Moose, even a few DSC's, and a couple of Summits from Israel..
> >>
> >> After 45 years we have quite the selection of equipment still working
> >> out there...=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 (LOL)
> >>
> >> (even got a few Ademco 612 dialers around) (try finding replacement ta=
pe
> >> cartridges for those) (LOL)
> >>
> >> as for the "Key"=C2=A0 mine didn't come with a key, but again it was 2=
nd hand..

> >> I did notice the hole in the back for one..
> >>
> >> That might be why it says the battery needs replacing..=C2=A0=C2=A0 ;-=
)

> >> --=20
> >>
> >> *Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*
> > I was going to say that I still use my Radio Shack Commodore with punch=
 cards and tape transport memory storage system so I can still play Pong  =
=E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6 but I know you wouldn't believe me. :-)
>=20
> HaHa
>=20
> well I had a paper tape ASC machine I used in the AirForce,
>=20
> then we upgraded to the new ASC II machines
>=20
> then right before I got discharged we upgraded again to the IBM=20
> Cards..=C2=A0=C2=A0 LOL
>=20
> My first personal machine was the VIC-20.. sweet machine but had to=20
> write all the software.
>=20
> That 2K limit was a little restricting.
>=20
> Not like today with Giga bit and Tera bit systems..
>=20
> and the old 10 bit communications was just a tad slow..
>=20
> even the comm stuff we used on early internet of 24,000 was nice
>=20
> but the 80 gig links we use now a days is damn near instant=20
> communications..=C2=A0=C2=A0 LOL
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> *Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*

Yeah, I got a "sign of the times" alert awhile ago.=20
I thought it was time to change the hard drive in my old Dell laptop so I b=
rought it up to the local computer store to have them transfer all my data =
from my old hard drive to the new one, just because I didn't want to muck a=
nything up by doing it myself. While I was there talking to the young man b=
ehind the counter I mentioned that I use an external modem a about 300 Baud=
 to up/download my alarm panels. The old guy siting at the work bench says.=
=20
"He's going to give you a blank stare" " He hasn't got a clue was a Baud is=
"=20
I got a chuckle out of that. He was right.