Re: Please recommend a non-monitored system

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 9:33:52 AM UTC-5, tourman wrote:
> On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 3:33:59 PM UTC-5, Chris wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 8:55:59 AM UTC-8, stran...@xxxxxxxxx =
wrote:
> > > hello,
> > >=20
> > > I'm looking for a a system  that will alert me if anyone tried to bre=
ak into my home a night.
> > > There are only a few possible entrances to my home, I want put sensor=
s on those doors and if they are tripped a loud siren will sound. I will in=
stall it myself.
of a non-monitored system... http://tinyurl.com/nn655zm
> >=20
> > However, I'll try to be slightly more useful and also provide this link=
: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/swann-magnetic-window-or-door-alarm-046=
0159p.html
> >=20
> > On the other hand, as has been mentioned by someone else on here alread=
y, the people on this forum install real alarm systems.  I personally would=
n't use the type of alarm in the Cdn Tire link, or any system I could buy f=
rom a store like Cdn Tire, Walmart, etc.  Ever notice that these stores don=
't use the alarm equipment they sell?  They must get a good deal on parts a=
nd could get a staff member to install them in a day for practically nothin=
g, but still no.
> >=20
> > Bottom line is that if you want a system you can rely on: get a real sy=
stem, get it professionally installed, and get it professionally monitored.
> >=20
> > - Chris
>=20
> Your advice is spot on. DIY systems are next to worthless. These people a=
ssume simply calling a cell phone is sufficient 'response' to any alarm. Af=
ter 100's of alarms at the monitoring station, the reports show it's pretty=
 obvious that one number clearly doesn't cut it.
>=20
> On the other hand, there are not many professional companies that will in=
stall a professional system without long term, overpriced contractual monit=
oring options, so the shopper for this kind of system is really on his own.

It's totally amazing how the rest of the industry is so out of step with yo=
u.=20