Re: Arizona Registrar of Contractors Rule Changes Effective July 1, 2014

On 5/10/2014 11:35 AM, Jim Rojas wrote:

> My answer is to require all city & state inspectors to be former or
> present day contractors in their respective fields...then you might see
> some real eye opening changes out there.

That solution has it's own problems.

Positions like that can attract those loudmouth lazy types - you know,
the ones who are quick to tell you how much they know, how wonderful
they are, and what great work they do.

Yet every panel they've done is a rat's nest and they are the type who
will stare at a problem for an hour trying to devise a solution that
doesn't require taking a ladder off the truck.

Now you might think, 'fine, get the bastard out of the field so he can
stop leaving a string of turds behind him that others are expected to
fix.'  However, you just know that's the guy who (unless he wants to be
your friend) will nit-pick your work ten ways from Sunday.

And, yeah, a big reason for his career change was not having to
re-qualify every few years...

> Meanwhile, elevator & escalator inspections are done every 5 years at
> best, building contractors continue to build substandard houses, and the
> city & state inspectors that are suppose to make sure that everything is
> done to code turn a blind eye because they have no money to make sure
> everyone is compliant...more sad times for America...
>
> I use to charge $150 to inspect any Daycare, Assisted Living Facilities,
> etc...Every year I did about 250 inspections. My price never changed for
> 12 years. Now these same facilities are forced to pay $1500+ for a lousy
> 1 hour inspection...what a @#$%ed up and corrupt system our government
> we have now.

I think you're spot on.  These types of laws and regs, just like most
laws and regs, are written by the rich elites to benefit the rich elites.

I mean - how can the big guy with a hundred trucks going to buy that
new, bigger boat charging only a $150 for an inspection?  Now that he's
driven the little guys out, he can make a ton of money sending out some
poorly trained tech for 10 bucks and hour who, at the very least, can
fill out the forms...

---