Re: Substituting Fire Alarm Beam Detectors?

On Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:01:24 PM UTC-5, JoeRaisin wrote:
> Drop 'em.  Explain to the customer why and if he still wants you to=20
>=20
> access them it's time and materials.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> It depends on the building and it's use as it pertains to your local=20
>=20
> laws, but you may want to see if you should notify the AHJ that the=20
>=20
> protection in that building has changed.

In my area, for commercial fire installations, we are *obligated* to inform=
 the Fire Marshal if the fire detection system has changed and we are not a=
llowed to make changes without submitting new plans for approval. We can be=
 fined and lose our license if we don't. And yes, since most/all commercial=
 fire detection systems are mandated, it is the responsibility of the archi=
tect to include, note,consider and submit changes to the fire alarm system =
in the design plans. In your case, now it is the owners responsibility to c=
omply/update/change the system in accordance with the local fire requiremen=
ts.=20

If you were the designated installation/maintenance company for the system =
my suggestion would be to inform the fire marshal. Litigation-wise, it coul=
d get very expensive for you if there was a fire at that location. After a =
fire, once the unauthorized changes are found ... *Everyone* is going to ge=
t sued and the building owners may not be able to collect on their insuranc=
e.