Re: CCTV using Baluns

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:51:20 PM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
> Jim Wrote: >I'm starting a CCTV job tomorrow in a small (30K sqft)warehou=
se using analog cameras over cat5. Up till now I've used siamese coax and 1=
2vdc. I typically do more residential work than commercial so I usualy don'=
t have to worry about voltage drop. > >On this system I'm installing 10 ins=
ide cameras all with IR LED's. Each camera draws 700ma with IR LED's on. I'=
ve got 5 cameras that will be in the rear of the warehouse where there are =
no power outlets so the cameras will be aprox 100 to 150 feet from the 24va=
c power source. I bought Balun's with screw connections (rather than an RJ4=
5 connector) for the Cat5 so that I could use six of the conductors for the=
 power, giving me aprox a 19 guage wire. I figure that should give me a vol=
tage drop of about 2 volts which is less than 10% of 24volts required by th=
e cameras. I didn't do any research on what affect the distance of 150 feet=
 over a 24 guage wire would have on the video signal. I don't think it'll b=
e a problem but I can always switch one of the voltage wires over to the vi=
deo terminals. > >I'm just looking for some comments, suggestions and possi=
ble problems that I might not have thought of when using Baluns and Cat5 An=
y comments about longer distances using Cat5 would be appreciated also. I'v=
e got a couple more larger warehouse jobs coming up so voltage drop is goin=
g to be a bigger issue I don't think you'll have any problems within 150'. =
I switched to CAT5 exclusively for new installs a few years back. It saves =
money on cable, and it "future proofs" the install in case they want IP cam=
s later. I always use a different color cable than what their network is us=
ing to avoid any confusion. If the Ethernet network is using blue, I'll go =
with yellow or something completely different so their network tech's don't=
 get confused.

Not necessary in this case but good idea to keep in mind=20
Thanks