Re: Honeywell ICM module discontinued

On Feb 5, 5:00=EF=BF=BDpm, "Robert L Bass" <nore...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "nick markowitz" wrote:
>
> > ADT Likes to get there fingers in everything.
> > Z wave is an interesting looking technology...
>
> It's got a good chance of winning the protocol war vs. some
> of the other stuff out there. =EF=BF=BDThere have been some
> interesting (and at times heated) debates about the subject
> over in:
>
> Really interesting things are developing. =EF=BF=BDSecurity dealers
> can add a major revenue stream incorporating HA in projects.
> A typical, $3000 residential alarm install can turn into a
> partial automation job. =EF=BF=BDI've sold HA systems online for a
> few thousand dollars that a dealer could install for a
> 5-figure price. =EF=BF=BDOther times you might just add a thousand
> dollars to the ticket by automating a gate, a few lights,
> etc.
>
> Check the Z-Wave alliance website:http://www.z-wavealliance.org
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

I've been adding automated lighting to my installs for years. Haven't
looked deeply into the Z wave/Zigbee technology yet but will if/when
it becomes a little more popular. It doesn't take a lot of special
knowledge to add this to alarm installs and there's usually additions
involving landscape and vacation lighting in the offing. I've been
using Smarthome in recent years which is a combination of PLC and RF.
A far cry from the unreliability of X10 in days of old. The automatic
networking of Zwave devices could well be the answer to the the
unreliability that has plagued the products in this market. If I had
any concern at all it would be that it seems that most every
technology nowdays is heading in the direction of being wireless. I
don't know how many more technologies can hop on the wireless wagon
before it all comes to a screeching stop, in a log jamb with one solar
flare event. Either that, or chickens would become an endangered
species since eggs would be laid, hardboiled.