Re: Telco / Cable company alarm jack connection problems

"Jim" wrote:

> Only use Napco...

That's what I thought you had said.  They make damn good systems.

> Sometimes a takeover but if it's an average system I'd rather invest my time
> and the expense to change over to a Napco system...

Many of the takeovers I did were wired -- 8 zones or less and 1 keypad.  I'd
routinely switch them out for a Napco.  I charged the first year of monitoring
up front plus labor for the changover so I covered my cost plus a bit and then
I had something reliable that any of my staff could program and service
easily.  On systems with more than one keypad or with zone expanders, I'd
charge for those, too.  The panel + keypad were included at no additional
charge (can't use the "f*ee* word) with the monitoring contract.

> Simply for the sake of conformity of having one manufacturer, in the event I
> ever sell and for ease of trouble shooting . If I get a larger system with
> lots of keypads and over 32 zones the expense is usually not worth it unless
> additions are being made to the system or I can convince the client to pay
> some part of the "upgrade"...

In those types of cases we would service the existing hardware unless it was
proprietary.  I rarely bothered taking over stuff we couldn't order through
distribution.  It was too much hassle.

> No problem with Verizon or Fios. There's really no difference in the
> telephone service between them...

Hmm.  I refer to the two interchangeably because I have Veriszon FIOS for
Internet, TV, two of my land lines and cellular service.  Napco and ELK
systems communicate flawlessly over VoIP (Vonage) for me.  I suppose they'll
be the same over FIOS anywhere.

> And since I only service the "Cablevision" area, they've done pretty good
> ..... so far ..... with providing the band width necessary for up and down

I had trouble with a few panels using VoIP through Comcast years ago.
Comcast's service around here was so unreliable that I would be loathe to
communicate alarms over it if I were still installing.

> Only occasionally do I have a problem. I don't know what the future will
> bring as they try to keep up with Fios by trying to squeeze more channels
> in...

I doubt CATV will ever be able to keep up with FIOS due to differences in the
available bandwidth between the two types.  From what I understand, there's
simply more room over a fiber optic system than copper.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics